cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error messages with Hyperlinks to solutions on PTC eSupport!

Error messages with Hyperlinks to solutions on PTC eSupport!

Let's face it, there are actually some good solutions posted on the PTC Support Portal page to some confusing error message in PDMLink/Windchill.  It would be great if something like hyperlinks showed up with the error that the user could click on and it would go to documents on the PTC Support page that explained the potential problems better.

This would make it much easier for COMMON USERS to interpret and understand error messages that are otherwise gibberish to them and thus help put problem solving tools in the hands of the common user, while making it easier/faster for the advanced users to find solutions.

This would really be great not only in Windchill, but also Creo, Creo View, etc...anywhere were errors are given where the solution may not be readily apparent to the common user.

9 Comments
Tanzanite

I agree 100%.

However, I could also see the nightmare in the upkeep.  How many times do we click on a link that takes us to a blank page or it says something like "Can't find this page".

Emerald I

I love the idea, but I keep running into things in Windchill that have zero documentation.  I call tech support and they can't even figure it out without going back to R&D.  I'd say let's start by documenting everything first.  A setting, config option, or preference should NOT be released to production unless there is corresponding documentation to go along with it!

Aquamarine

‌, I don't think that this would have to be an either or.  If this was database driven than documenting it in one place could make it available in both places with no extra work (kind of like "associative"/Driving dimensions :-) )...once it is set up right.  Besides, error documentation is a never ending job so I don't think it will ever be finished...but perhaps with this tool it might help get to the standstill faster! ;-)

I was thinking this would be more difficult to implement than to maintain (depending on how database driven there support portal currently is), but I can see how if not much thought was put in upfront (thrown together) that could make for an easier set up but harder maintenance and more broken links.

For both Tom's Reason as well as ‌'s, perhaps that is why Microsoft's sort-of version of this is a single tool 'hyperlink' that when you click on it will run then provide other links to docs or auto-fix tools.

Either way, I think it is hard for me/us who cannot test these specific software limitations to have a good understanding of how hard this would be to setup and maintain.  I know in one case on this forum several very knowledgeable users thought changing the way Creo handled fonts would be nigh impossible for PTC to implement, yet this was just before Creo3 came out and PTC did an outstanding job at implementing that very change!

Emerald I

PTC sent this out today:  https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS198035

They can't even keep their current links up to date. 

removed.png

If they did decide to implement something like this, I really hope they do so with permalinks.  Even if future versions of the software no longer contain or use a particular feature or setting, the documentation should still remain available... forever!

Aquamarine

Good point, well said, good example, and great Idea!

Gotta agree. This coupled with the horrendous search algorithms is a much bigger problem. Searching the support page has become more useless than it was before.

Aquamarine

Which is interesting because the TS reps who I have talked to seem to at least be better than me at finding relevant documents...I wonder if it is because they know exactly what to search for based off of experience, or if they have different tools than us...?

All the more reason to have links based off of key/common error messages.  Heck, if I had the ability I could even link repeating errors it to internal documentation so that there would be a seamless connection for the common user to find solutions that are already known by the company!

Actually that is a good question, is it possible now, without major customization, for us to include a link to a general company error-help document at the end of an error message given in PDMLink through the Event Manager?  I assume not, however it would be nice to be surprised! :-)

Well, I'm sure it's possible with enough time and money!

The conspiracy theory is, of course, the search is as horrible as it is to force us to rely more upon tech support.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged