Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend baseline capabilities to Windchill SIM

0 Kudos

Extend baseline capabilities to Windchill SIM

In Windchill SIM it's currently possible to add a structure of parts and dynamic documents to a baseline. But this can only be used as a reference. You can add the baseline to a workspace and work on the "creation" side, but you can't do anything on the "deliver" side (afaik).

The request is twofold:

1. To create a translation package from a baseline.
  2. To publish a representation from a baseline.

Both seem a small step from the current capabilities since they work with a very similar package and collection rules as a baseline does.

Why? Because existing products are sold in new countries. This is accompanied by translation requirements to the specific languages. But if any of the child objects has been reused and revised in another top level document, it is now impossible to have the existing document translated. You can only request a translation as of latest. Also publishing a representation is ony possible as of latest.

4 Comments
Marble

Another use case for this topic.

As many manufacturing companies can confirm, software is taking an increasing share of the product development lifecycle. We're transforming as a company. For some products we release updates every month. This is accompanied with updates in the documentation. However, it takes a long time before all translations have returned. By the time they return, the author is already reworking the source towards the next version. And the incoming translations are correctly linked to the previous versions of the source. Now, since we can't publish based on a baseline, we can never publish translations for these products anylonger. This is really blocking us.

This is almost 2 years old. Has any progress been made on this?
I posted this elsewhere, but wanted to make sure answer was here too: Awesome news to round out the year: PTC Support got back to me with an explanation of how to apply a baseline to a bookmap! I've tested it and it seems to work perfectly--I was finally able to create a translation package for a previous version of a doc instead of the most recent. Since I can't add an attachment here, go to https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/Using-baselines-for-dynamic-documents/m-p/631498/highlight/fa... otherwise, the basic idea is: You will need the following: - A bookmap that references one or more components (topics, maps, and graphics) - A baseline that represents the point in time that you want to return to 1. Navigate to the latest version of the bookmap, and then select the Structure tab. 2. Click Edit Filter to display the filter window. 3. In To Be Applied, select the row for Latest, and then click Remove. 4. From Choose a Type, select Baseline. 5. Select the desired baseline, and then click Add. 6. Select Apply to top level object, and then click OK. After the filter is applied, you can create a translation package.
Marble

Thanks for sharing!

We already figured that out for publishing, but the package creation was new to me. It's quite hidden too. It's not possible to create a translation package from the Actions button, but it is possible from the translation tab using the right click menu.

Glad there's a way to achieve the goal, but it's a funny way to get it done. It seems to work by accident, rather than by design.