cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FMECA Module, Local, Next Higher, End Effects support only 255 characters, Winchill Quality Solutions, Request change of type to Memo.

FMECA Module, Local, Next Higher, End Effects support only 255 characters, Winchill Quality Solutions, Request change of type to Memo.

Due to the complexities of current products for my organization, would like to request the increase in the amount of characters found in the Local, Next Higher, End Effect Categories. Being succint is important when writing FMECAs;  however, lost of detail (granuality) of the effects are occuring because of this. Would like to change these fields either into Memo Fields, or 1028 characters.

5 Comments
rthomas-2

Hi Fredwilliam,

in my opinion this is a general user misunderstanding in FMEA handling. Effects should be as short as possible, AND they should have standardized wording. Relex FMEA offers altogether ~ 20 "user defined memo" data fields to be used in the FMEA. You may consider using these memo fields in conjunction with the local, next, and end effect fields.

Thomas

fesguerra

Hello,

Thanks for responding to my recommendation. The type of product that my company performs FMEAs on are for large aerospace products. The detection, compensating provisions and aerospace products end effects are many times complex and cannot be accurately stated without detail being lost. Currently the field length is 255, if the field length was just double this It would cover many of the issues that we are currently having.

Although Relex FMEA offers 20 user defined memo field, I am limited since my company uses the generate LSAR feature. The tool is not setup to use those fields in the Generate LSAR capability of the tool to get FMEA to be a SLIC compliance output.

Fredwilliam

rthomas-2

Hi,

maybe this is a chance for me to learn something new. In my career as a reliability consultant, I have never encountered effect wordings that long.

Could you copy a sample, of course without disclosing sensitive information?

Have you already raised this issue in the PTC case logger?

Thomas

fesguerra

Hello,

An example of a redacted compensating provision I could share is the following:

Clear xxxxx xxxx by selecting XXX X on the XXX. XXX X provides XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX data to XXX XXXX.

XXXX XXXXX-XXXXX of XXX with the XXX required to prevent xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx data from xxxxxxxx xx x xxxxxx. Reduce xxxxxxx below xxxxxx. xxxxx xxxxx sharing will allow xxx x to provide xxxxx xxxxxx x data if xxxxx xxxxxx x xxxxx.

I know the statement is not ideal, but i hope you get the jist.

This above is 357 characters. If one acronyms every available statement, and start droping vowels in choice words, I can get underneath 255 character limit. This put a level of complexity on an analyst and may reduce the amount of detail to the user. If I did not need the Generate LSAR capability, this would not be an issue.

I have raised this issue in the PTC case logger, and have brought this to the attention of PTC technical focals/managers, however, they have reviewed it and did not feel it should be done at this time. That is why I have followed their recommendation of putting in the suggestion pool. If enough users see, and agree, this could make the case for them to include it.

Thanks for asking questions!

rthomas-2

One up!