cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Generate document number based on related Part as default value

Generate document number based on related Part as default value

Hello.

I would like to check by default "Generate document number based on related Part" when rename or save as :

There is a CS talking about that : https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS289773

Does anyone have a workaround solution ?

Thanks.

6 Comments
BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

My question is, why do you want that? 

• If you would like to start with a document rather than a WTPart, it won't work since you don't have a number
  • What about having one document for multiple WTParts like a datasheet? What base number should then be taken? 

This would work just for 1:1 relations.

The number is just an ID. If you want to have such a feature then I would suggest a new attribute or use just the relation.

cferrec
7-Bedrock
Yes you're right, the next step would be "Generate document number based on related Part + incremental number" so that we could use the same number + 1/2/3/... when several files (drawings) are liked to one part.

The reason is that number is a system ID displayed almost anywhere, and we need an ID to communicate with our ERP. So it's better to use it as we can make a search by number in windchill or thingworx navigate.

The idea is quite simple : I rename only one number (our part number) following the business numbering rules, the 3D file and drawing file will follow (number and filename). When we import part BOM into our ERP we directly know that our buying service have to order part "ABCD" by sending to the supplier the "ABCD.SLDPRT" and "ABCD.SLDDRW" files.
BjoernRueegg
17-Peridot

I understand your concept, but I'm not happy with it. For a number is just an attribute. That Creo can't handle this is just sad. See the idea Make Creo flexible with alternate part names. By the way, Creo view can handle different numbers.

I would like to create documents and parts without even thinking of a number. If a customer want's to have speaking numbers, he can still create a part and enter "his" manual entered number before he transfers the part to ERP. Creo and also Windchill should be flexible to have different number fields and allow an administrator to configure it, which one the main number and which one just and ID is.

With this solution, you could right a simple trigger which will push the attributes from the part to the Cad or document without even touching the file or renaming the object.

cferrec
7-Bedrock

You're right, I first tried to make our "part number for ERP" another attribute, but there are some problems : the "real" number is allways displayed in the thumbnail popup "title" in windchill and I don't think you can change that, default windchill search without indexing only search by number or name, and Thingworx Navigate search too, but no index search possible in this case.

So I don't see other options than renaming windchill number with our standard.

jroegner
11-Garnet

We have just begun to look into autogenerated numbers and if this could be defaulted we may be able to leverage the function.  Without we may still need an external numbering system and turn autonumber off.  There are a lot of preferences already and settings that together with this proposal for a preference to make it default may make autonumber feasible.  (Although doesn't help those who don't use WTParts).  This is important because the suggestion of an "ERP attribute" would be just as problematic.  We don't need another attribute. Everything has a unique identifier; it's called an ida2a2.  And the ability to auto-set that attribute is the same problem/resolution.  Which goes back to autonumber needs more work.  The number is important as that is how people search.  It's also important because most people make the cadname and number match.  And the cadname is what is shown on the drawing.  And when the CAD leaves the system, if the number doesn't match the ERP number, it makes finding the information difficult.  (Yes there are some exceptions but not many)

The hard part is done.  The function exists.  Now we just need PTC to expose a preference to choose the default.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.