cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

MPMLink - Ability to duplicate (save as) a Process Plans modifying part of structure view

MPMLink - Ability to duplicate (save as) a Process Plans modifying part of structure view

1. Describe your environment:

What is your industry?

- Electrical and electronic equipment manufacturing

What is your role in your organization?

- PLM administrator and project leader in the area of Windchill development according to the needs of internal departments using the system

Describe your stakeholders.
- R&D, product industrialization department, quality control, product certification laboratory, and other departments dependent on technical management

2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Need to be able to duplicate a process plan by changing part of the plan structure.

4. What is the use case for your organization?

Increasingly, there is a growing need to be able to produce semi-finished products on different work centers, yet maintain the same process plan.

Production scheduling needs to optimize the use of work centers according to production orders resulting from sales.

So the need is to create process plan alternatives by changing only the work center on which to produce, but keeping everything else in the plan unchanged (see below image).

What has just been described should be multiplied by dozens or hundreds of process plans at a time, depending on the optimization of work center occupancy.

Marco_Tosin_0-1668771470757.png

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

At present, it is impossible for the time and methods department to make the changes required by the production schedule within the required time.

Therefore, production scheduling is forced to manually execute these changes in the scheduling SW.

However, this mode of operation results in discrepancies between what is provided in the ERP system (in our case, Windchill is connected to SAP for sending, via Tibco and Windchill ESI, material master records, BoM, process plans, and ECNs) and what results to management control, which uses data from the production scheduler.

7 Comments
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @Marco_Tosin for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite

Definitely agree and need the same .   A Save As feature like for BOMs or CAD structure ,   where we are able to collect related Objects : Operations , Sub Operations, Tools and Ressources and Documents ...  And being able to select which ones will be duplicated, excluded or resused .

JC_Niyonkuru
11-Garnet
Status changed to: New Idea

Hello

Will the change of Work Center going to result in changing times of Operation as well?  

Thanks

JC

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Marco_Tosin_1-1680851463467.png

@JC_Niyonkuru 
you asked a question that I couldn't answer because at 02.00 AM in Italy it's the middle of the night.

I will answer now and tell you that it can happen that the change of Work Center also involves a change to the process plan time.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

In addition, I can also say that what is required with this idea is of critical importance for companies like ours that do production of dozens or hundreds of items that have the same production cycle and, for contingent reasons related to the availability of raw materials or electronic components, or any other reason, may be diverted to Work Centers other than the basic set up to be able to produce.

Keep in mind that there are periods when we operate on three shifts covering the full 24 hours.

So the flexibility of being able to quickly change multiple process plans, duplicating them from an existing one, saves days of work for the process engineers whose work tool is Windchill and not the ERP system.

This is critically important to us, to the point that we have already asked for and had our consultants implement what is required and are already using it in our production Windchill.

Not only are we using it but we will use it until the end of time because it is part of the way we work.

It is not always possible to adapt production processes to the PLM system.
Sometimes it is even necessary to do the opposite.

I am sorry that this aspect is not captured.

I would also like to hear @GregoryPERASSO opinion with whom we have already shared the same requests several times in the past even though we work in companies that make completely different products.

Thanks

JC_Niyonkuru
11-Garnet
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Ok thanks I understand and we will look into that

THanks again

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Thank you