1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
I am Digitalization Business lead on a Renewable Energy Industry. My main stakeholders are Industrialization, Change Management Engineering and Manufacturing
2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
In my organization we work with Modular product overloaded BoMs approach and we create Variant BoMs using the configuration tool. When we have changes on the overloaded structure/corrections on the Variant specification it would be required to revise the existing variants but by OOTB, is not possible to reconfigure revised non-matching variants.
4. What is the use case for your organization?
Our MSIs numbers (after first release) must be kept when reconfiguration is necessary to correct engineering BoM mistakes/Variant specifications.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Today, we're doing manual variant revision (one by one) instead using the automatic approach of reconfiguration tool.
--> Improve Efficiency: Imagine if a change on the Overloaded BoM affects 100 or more Variant BoMs. If we can have a possible way to reconfigure we'll save huge amount of extra work.
--> Improve Quality: Manual update increases a lot a possibility of mistakes. Automation for variant reconfiguration will ensure BoM quality