cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Managing Compliance of a Manufacturer's Part Number

Managing Compliance of a Manufacturer's Part Number

It has occurred to me while working some BOM's that it would be very useful to be able to make a part "Not Applicable" or "Inactive".  For instance we have packaging materials on our BOM's, if I am checking the RoHS compliance of the BOM, it would be convenient for me to be able to search for the MPN that is a problem on the report (showing up with no data becasue packaging manufacturers don't know what cardboard is made of), and go to manage environmental complaince and either set the part to inactive, or label it as not applicable so the report is clean. 

Also, you could lean the process by having an "attach Document" hot button in the Manage Environmental Compliance window.  If you did,when we are pre-qualifying a part, we can attach the RoHS C of C while in this window rather than having to back out and then attach the document.

7 Comments
jsweeney
5-Regular Member

Jeff - Could you explain more on why you would want this on the manufacturer part and not on the Bose part?  Would you not handle the manufacturer part with the AML status such as do not use?

Jim

jcholin
1-Newbie

Jim,

Good point.  Re-reading my initial comment I think I used the wrong term.  You are correct that we would want to use the Bose part number and set it to "Not to be Considered" so it is not in the compliance calculation.  At the time I was thinking that while working a particular BOM it would be nice to essentially scroll down the BOM and when I got to a specific item that was a problem, be able to go to the part and change its status right then and there.  I will say that while changing a part from Active to Not to be Considered is not to bad, having to go in each part and turn off the specifications one by one is a bit tedious.  We are submitting an enhancement idea on that.

Sorry for the error.

Jeff

jsweeney
5-Regular Member

Jeff, there is the ability to set applicability for company parts.  Does this work for you?

setapplicability.gif

jcholin
1-Newbie

Jim,

It works, but is cumbersome.  For instance we just changed a little over 1000 parts that are packaging materials from Active to Not to be Considered to take them out of the compliance calculation, now we have to visit each of these parts and manually turn off the specification applicability.  Imagine the man-hours to go through 1000 parts one by one and click some/all of those boxes, not to mention the oportunity for error.  PTC may want to consider allowing the user in the part search window to search for a block of parts, and then as a group modify the specification applicability, much the same as one might attach a document to a group of parts.  Debatra is working up an enhancement suggestion as I write this on this topic.

Regards,

Jeff

jsweeney
5-Regular Member

This action is also available from within the company part search.  As long as your search can group the parts together you can mass select the parts.

bweber
3-Visitor

I just tried this function in our system.  While the the status is on the company part, it does not apply to the supplier part, so we still request substance data for parts that we don't need.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived