Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify custom attributes while doing a "Save As"of an object

Modify custom attributes while doing a "Save As"of an object

When using the "Save as" funtionallity, the newly created objects inherit the values for all custom made attrubutes.

Often these values has to be modified anyway, so the object has to be check out/modified/checked in after the "Save as"

Having the ability to modify the values in the "Save as" wizard would reduce the work of copying an object.

36 Comments
SteveShaw
14-Alexandrite

This project represented new feature development.  There are no plans to backport to earlier releases. 

Marco_Tosin
19-Tanzanite

@SteveShaw 

Version 11.2.0.0 of Windchill is already out so I think the status of the idea can be changed, because it is still Implementation in progress.

RABOU_Francois
8-Gravel

Modify in the Wizard some attributes following restrictions will be helpful. Some attributes like Unit of measure must be maybe removed from the Save-As as the change can imply in "Where Used some" discrepancies or inconsistencies in BoMs.

Linked to the Save As, and it's a recurrent question, is: What about the Related objects like EPM documents and Wt Documents linked to a WT Part?

In a second step it will be good to allow the user to decide if the linked documents must be created (assuming the new document has the same content as the previous document and will be edited after for upgrade) or reused.

For Part having a structure the situation is more complex while a decision must be done for each component of the structure: keep the component as it is, create new, delete existing.

JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite

Hello Francois.

I want to understand your post better, so please see my comments embedded below.

Thanks

Jennifer

Modify in the Wizard some attributes following restrictions will be helpful.

<jlmp> I am not sure I understand this comment.

<jlmp> In cell the following capabilities are present:

• Lists are rendered as lists
  • Other attribute constraints are displayed if you hover over the cell.
  • JenniferPierron_0-1598364074693.png
  • JenniferPierron_1-1598364074694.png

<jlmp> Additionally, if you use the multiple-value edit control, a full description of the default value and constraints are displayed for each soft-type.

JenniferPierron_2-1598364074698.png

Some attributes like Unit of measure must be maybe removed from the Save-As as the change can imply in "Where Used some" discrepancies or inconsistencies in BoMs.

<jlmp> The control on the toolbar is only used to interpret the input.   The values are stored in a common method in the database.   There is no need to worry about mixed units showing in your BOM.

Linked to the Save As, and it's a recurrent question, is: What about the Related objects like EPM documents and Wt Documents linked to a WT Part?

In a second step it will be good to allow the user to decide if the linked documents must be created (assuming the new document has the same content as the previous document and will be edited after for upgrade) or reused.

<jlmp> Choosing to make a new copy of the documents or not is currently possible.

<jlmp> I suggest that you start with your Part and choose to collect the related CAD Documents and Documents.

<jlmp> Set the default view for your users “As a Structure with Associated Objects” and then you can see what documents are related to the Parts you are choosing to copy.

For Part having a structure the situation is more complex while a decision must be done for each component of the structure: keep the component as it is, create new, delete existing.

<jlmp> Delete or reuse is not explicitly possible but for relationships that allow the document to be  related to multiple Parts, you can configure the default behavior to carry forward or not:

• For CAD Documents with Owner/Image associations, if you copy ONLY the Part and NOT the CAD, then the new Part is not related to the CAD Document.  This is to be expected because you wouldn't drive the definition of 2 BOM items with the same CAD model.   If you want to do that, then consider enabling multiple-owner associations OR using Content associations.
  • For CAD Documents with Content association, if you copy ONLY the Part, then the system follows the copy forward rules.
  • For Documents, if you copy ONLY the Part, then the system follows the copy forward rules.
  • For more info see this help center topic: https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.0.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FPDMAdminChp_ConfigPartDo...
RABOU_Francois
8-Gravel

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks you for your detailed reply. You answered to my questions and for Save-As for structures you make this in a Workspace. Is it because it's not possible in the Commonspace? What is the version of WNC used? Currently we are using WNC 11.0 M030 CPS 17

JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite

@RABOU_Francois 

Hi Francois.

You asked:

You answered to my questions and for Save-As for structures you make this in a Workspace. Is it because it's not possible in the Commonspace?

<jlmp> If you look early in this post, I replied to Tom U with a video in Commonspace.   This behavior is for both WS and CS Save As.  Here is the link if you cannot find it:

You asked:

What is the version of WNC used? Currently we are using WNC 11.0 M030 CPS 17

<jlmp> This functionality is available in Windchill 11.2.0.0+

Thanks

Jennifer

RABOU_Francois
8-Gravel

@JenniferPierron

Hi Jennifer, view the 2 videos. It's perfect ! We have just to move to Windchill 11.2 ! You answered all my questions and remarks. Thanks a lot.

Francois

SteveShaw
14-Alexandrite
Status changed to: Current Functionality

This functionality is available in Windchill 11.2.0.0+

uharneit
10-Marble

What about modelled / inbuild attributes like source and assembly mode ? I can edit a custom created attribute but not those two ?

JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite

@uharneit  - Currently, the Save As UI only allows modifying soft-typed Local and Global attributes along with the identity information: Number, Name, File Name and Organization ID.

Thanks

Jennifer

manthan
3-Visitor

will it work for classification attributes?