Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple elements "Rename" functionality

Multiple elements "Rename" functionality

there should be an option to rename many Windchill elements like Parts, Creo parts and Drawings pointed out after search and rename them as one action following some key for name change like example:

"*" -> "D*"

as a result we should obtain:

source         ->      result

12345          ->     D12345

12345.prt     ->     D12345.prt

12345.drw    ->     D12345.drw

11111          ->     D11111

32154.prt      ->    D32154.prt

78945.asm    ->    D78945.asm

etc.

at the moment we see rename only on single object, but not for more then one...

Rename_Single.PNGRename_Multi.PNG

9 Comments

Great idea! Windchill needs more suport for multi-object actions like Rename. Set State was introduced in 10.1 and PTC is wrapping up a project now to support Checkout and Checkin for multiple objects in the browser UI at Windchill 10.2 M030.

Peridot

If you've voted for this idea it may be a good idea to go give the other one Jeff mentioned a vote up!

Amethyst

With pleasure, but I already voted up on it 😉

Personally I don't like the status "DUPLICATE" it will be better to join them - what do you think!

This will be beneficial due to valuable content on one idea which can be missing on the other...

Unfortunately we currently do not have the ability to merge content in this way.

Jeff did exactly what we've asked the Product Management team to do when they notice a duplicate idea: identify the duplication, mark one of the ideas as "Duplicate", then add a comment to let others know where they can find and contribute to the newly consolidated Product Idea. 

Amethyst

‌I think it can be easy if you set all as "duplicate" and create new idea as merge - containing all valuable content! And in the new merged idea all votes should be sum of each separate 🙂

simple?

Unfortunately it is not that simple. Creating an idea on behalf of the original author is not ideal, since they will no longer be notified when others comment, and there is no way to "transfer" the votes that have already been attributed to an idea.

Amethyst

‌in my thinking it should be possible to create new idea with e.g. I'd "zzzz" which will be merged duplicate ideas with I'd "aaaa" and "bbbb" (or maybe more) and all votes from those source ideas should be reassigned to this "zzzz". If it works like this no one will be the owner of the thread - only community (or admin) and no user voted previously need no action to do, because their votes will be already shifted to new one.

As always I see here opportunity for improvement

Community Manager
Status changed to: Current Functionality