Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New WYSIWYG (Rich Text) Attribute type

New WYSIWYG (Rich Text) Attribute type

Please add the functionality to create a string attribute with WYSIWYG Editor (Rich Text). The length of the attribute should be more then 4000 characters and it should be able to have images included.

It would be really nice to document e.g. a Problem Report. So the user don't need to create any document, save it to the hard drive, upload it as attachment. And the next user needs to download it and open it to read.

This feature could be a lot helpful also for discussions, Change Management, CAPA, Non Conformance, Customer Experience, etc.

Exactly the same  features like creating an idea in this PTC User Community.

Create_Product_Idea___PTC_Community.png

32 Comments
Pearl

I would like to know how other companies describe the changes (Change Tasks) the engineers have to do. Is that still a lot over the phone, E-Mail, Skype? Are there any pictures and tests? That's the main reason why I added this idea.

Thanks for any information.

Tanzanite

If you need to mark up the drawing that goes on the CN then use the markup capability in PDMLink.

But for other documents I would agree with you.

Aquamarine

Every time I enter text on a CN/CR, I hate it.

Besides text boxes not being able to display formatting (even like this forum), the comment box size cannot be changed so you only see ~3 lines at a time! (how hard would this be to fix?  Really!?!), nor can you even use the up and down arrow keys to navigate through the box!  Try reporting any of this to PTC as being a bug and see what they say.  This is evidently "intended design functionality".

This is text editing 101 yet these problems have persevered through multiple version (minor and major) of PDMLink!  By their actions on this text box issue (as well as other areas) one would think that PTC thinks that user interface doesn't substantially effect user/company productivity and is simply not worth improving. 

Pearl

I hear some frustration here! All the companies I'm implement PDMlink, they love the ideas and the first impression, but there are so many frustration afterwards. Like RTF, discussions, Mail formating, Creo Interface, WGM, etc.

There would be still a lot to do, but at the moment PTC  doesn't  have any ressource to develop or maintain PDMLink because of IoT.

Everybody talks about that finally a lot of SMB are now ready to work with WTParts and ERP interfaces. I guess just PTC is now not ready anymore....

Marble

I let my rep know I have heard enough about IoT.  And I can see they are just ignoring other aspects of there business so they can grow share in this area.

Moonstone

Yeah,  PTC did the same thing to Pro/ENGINEER when Windchill was the latest hot thing....

Emerald I

In our manufacturing industry, IOT means nothing and never will.  We're not going to embed sensors in hundreds of millions of stamped parts.  At PTC Live Global this year, when PTC's management said they've spent over $500 million in the last year investing in IOT, the only thing I could think about was how many bugs that could have fixed in Creo.    Instead I'm still fighting with many of the same problems that have been there since Wildfire 1.  So frustrating.

Aquamarine

Agreed TomUminn  .  The only reason the Cad industry is "stagnant" is because each major player has their own monopoly due to the expense of changing.  There is plenty of work to be done, just not any motivation because it is so hard to gain new customers...

From my understanding, IofT depends on Windchill, and these ubiquitous yet feeble/paralyzed/archaic text boxes (sorry, couldn't pick just one adjective to describe what these text boxes are to me as a user), so I am not sure why they are not fixing these low hanging UI fruits that slow down users while driving users up the wall?

Pearl

I'm sure there will be some changes in near future, but for me it takes to long until some new features are presented to the customer. Is there any statistic how many ideas area being realized from this forum?

There are 1520 ideas at the moment,

9 are in "Implementation in progress"

5 are "Under Consideration"

17 are "For Future Consideration"

How long can we create some ideas here in the community? Let's say 3 years? So It would be great to have a statement from PTC what they are thinking about all these ideas? How many hours did we already invest in this community and ideas? The result is at the moment really small...

Aquamarine

Björn Rüegg‌,  Well said!  An encouraging, accurate, and statistically backed up statement from PTC on the product ideas sure would go a long way to encourage further input! 

I just recently asked a PTC tech who is working on a case with me and suggested I submit an idea for a feature.  I asked him: "Will it really do any good?"  Many of the top voted ideas do not have any official comments on implementation, even though some of them are relatively easy!

How often do they get considered? at how many votes? etc?

sm

Keep working with your PTC Solution Managers on this topic. The WYSIWYG RTF editor is already a component of Windchill. It was implemented for Requirements. I cannot comment on the level of difficulty or the time required to implement attribute values saved in RTF since its not my area of expertise, but it certainly seems doable if given the prioritization.

wsiwyg_text.jpg

Pearl

Thanks Scott.

I know that this feature is around, also MPMLink is using it. Perhaps there is a workaround to enable it, but there is still the problem of max 4000 chars, since the attributes can't be longer. Or is there a hidden feature to create longer attributes?

Aquamarine

Scott Morris‌,

I have 2 questions in response to your statement that I eagerly await a positive answer to:

1. When you say is already a component of Windchill, at what version is this available for use in Change Management Change Requests/Notices (CRs, CNs, etc)?
  2. Is there a setting to allow us to use the up and down arrow in the CN/CR editor? Currently we can only navigate through a comment while writing a CR/CN by using the mouse, or left and right arrows.  Very frustratingly, the up and down arrows are entirely disabled in these text field!  The frustration is further amplified by not being able to expand the CN comment fields (while editing the CN) either horizontally nor vertically, so we are forced to view about 4 lines at a time and only about 8-10 words across!
sm

I cannot say for sure. This is not my area of expertise

sm

This thread was sounding a bit down, so I wanted to share what I was aware of. While my reply does not resolve the open issues or the point of this request, I wanted to let you know PTC is paying attention and still working on all the products. This is an excellent idea and hopefully the team responsible for this area will review it and consider it for a future release.

1. WYSIWYG editor was implemented with Windchill RequirementsLink @ 10.1. I am not aware of any features or capabilities in Windchill Change Management that use it. I just wanted to confirm the capability exists in Windchill, it just needs to be implemented for Change Management.
  2. I cannot comment on keyboard navigation in the CN/CR editor, this is not my area of expertise.
KD
Participant

In Windchill 10.2 M030 for one client we have done a small customization to enable Rich Text Editor for document description filed.

But we are still struggling with the limit 4000.

Untitled2.png@

Pearl

Hey cool! That's what I like to see!

How did you do that? Could you please tell me in few steps what you have changed in the jsp? Or is it even data utility or something elese?

Thanks

Hello. I'd like to know how you have done the customization. That's what I want to as well. Could you please tell me about it?

Pearl

‌there is a possibility to enable this editor with a not supported data utility. Unfortunately the db only supports up to 4000nvchars. In the background its also possible to create a standard attribute with the type inline blobs. Unfortunately I have no idea how to create afterwards an attribute to these columns. I haven't heard anything from the support yet. Does anybody else have an idea?

Pearl

Please also vote for this idea. These two ideas are actually connected together. Inline blobs let you save more than 4000 chars in the database.

Manage inline blob datatype for softtype

To enable the WYSIWYG editor in Windchill isn't the problem. The problem is now to save the content in the database. With the style information the number of chars explodes so with view lines written the limit of 4000 is already reached.

Inline blobs are at the moment not supported even if there is small chapter in the customization guide. The creation of the columns is possible with the addcolumn utility. Unfortunately there is no possibility to add some data to this column without writing a custom utility.

Pearl

As reply from the support inline blobs are not supported. Also not in Windchill 11.

KD
Participant

Here is the instruction about how to do it.

Note:- This is not supported by PTC

https://www.ptcusercommunity.com/docs/DOC-9005

Pearl

‌this isn't realy a solution since only max 3000 chars can be saved in the database table. Custom blob attributes wou solve this issue.

KD
Participant

Can't agree more.

Its just a workaround.

If you have any better workable solution please do share with me.

BR,

Kaushik

Pearl

Unfortunately not! Since PTC doesn't explain how you can write to a standard attribute InlineBlob. You can add InlineBlobs with the addColumns utility, but then you cannot add this one to the object type.