Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number/Name/File Name/Commom Name in Creo/Windchill

Number/Name/File Name/Commom Name in Creo/Windchill

It is too difficult for our customer understand what is the difference between the Name in Windchill and the name in Creo and the others. For example:

- When an user create a new CAD from Creo he/she has two options, Name and Common Name. But, the "name" field in Creo is the "Number" in Windchill and the "Common Name" in Creo is the "Name" in Windchill. Also, the "File Name" will be the same as "Name" when creating in Creo.

- When an user create a new CAD from Windchill he/she has all those options but with different meanings.

My suggestion is that the attributes are the same in both place: Number will be number, name will be name, and have the same options that they have in Windchill when creating a new CAD in Creo as well.

Thanks!

Felipe da Silva

32 Comments
Aquamarine

Hello Tom.

I think there is no plan to change Common Name to Name in the near future.  The reasoning is that since the field "File Name" field used to be labeled "Name," the fear/thought is that if the UI changed to label "Common Name" as "Name", some users may think the old field just moved down and not realize that Name is now Common Name.

For Number, there is no planned release for formal support of number in Creo WGM; but thank you for bringing it up.   If there are others following this thread who think that Creo should have a better handling of Number, please write back.  This could help the prioritization of the future work.

Thanks

Jennifer

Emerald I

For Number, there is no planned release for formal support of number in Creo WGM...

We've talked about this before but not having number at least visible in Creo is exceedingly frustrating.  "Number" is the most important piece of information in Windchill and yet it is not accessible in Creo without customization.  It's already included in the Workgroup Manager for SolidWorks.  I don't understand why it's not included in Creo.  In a perfect world we would be able to see 'Number' and even open files in Creo by just using 'Number'.  Creo is forcing us into a situation where we must always keep 'Number' == 'Filename' because Creo doesn't play nice with 'Number' and Windchill doesn't play nice with 'Filename'.  (There are places in Windchill where 'Filename' can't be used/shown.)

Aquamarine

Hi Tom.

1. I think Jim Barrett-Smith has updated the other locations to indicate the Creo 5.0 behavior.

2. We have on our backlog the ability to have consistent Read Only system driven attributes in Creo WGM by adding those that are in WWGMs but not in Creo.  I cannot commit to a timeframe; but we are trying to add it to our future development.

I hope you have seen continuous improvements with changes in Creo 4, 5 and Windchill 11 and 11.1.  PTC will continue to enhance naming/numbering in future development.

Thanks

Jennifer

Emerald I

Thanks Jennifer.  It's good to hear that something will be done eventually.  Concerning improvements, we haven't been able to move to 11.1 yet due to the new licensing model's inability to deal with test/administrative users.  (I just heard yesterday that this is supposed to be corrected in M010.)  On the Creo side, I don't know anyone who deploys F000 into production, so we'll probably start looking at that after the M010 release as well.

Visitor
Yes please add the "Number" attribute in Creo WGM. Only than the attributes "File name", "Common name" and "number" can than be used in separate ways. In my opinion: Number should be autogenerated (uniqueness) File name should be unique and in some cases descriptive (modeltree, exports) Common name should be descriptive.

@JenniferPierron 

I tested your preferences, but I failed to successfully create a new CAD + WTPart with a SAVE AS.

• I have done a SAVE as from ST1900011.PRT (CAD) and ST19000011 (Part)
  • I got a new Part with ST1900015 and the CAD with ST1900016.PRT

Is this the behavior expected?

SavesAs.png