Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of decimals displayed for real type attribute in Windchill PDMLink

Number of decimals displayed for real type attribute in Windchill PDMLink

We need a way to control maximum number of decimal values for real type attributes in Windchill. When real type values are published from Creo, they have14 decimals, which is confusing and mess up the UI.

I propose that you should be able to set a limitation of maximum decimals in the type-manager per real number attribute.

float.jpg

17 Comments
bmr
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

‌that's something which should actualy be a basic feature. I've tried to implement some datautility,  but it's not that easy to show the value on all layout's and tables.

Pekholm
8-Gravel

Hi Björn

I agree. The users think is a bugg. Hard to explain that is "working to spec". Even harder to explain that we  need to customize to get the system readable. Hope PTC will implement a solution asap.

nmiller
3-Visitor

As you say. Not a "Product Idea". It's a bug!

SvenR
13-Aquamarine

Even in my old TI calculator I can set

* Engineering Notation

* Scientific Notation

* 'normal'.

I would suggest a preferences item that allows us to set this to one of those settings.

OliverDroop
11-Garnet

Obviously a common requirement after working with Windchill and choosing data model which suits the digital twin.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged

magnus.salomons
13-Aquamarine

What did the PTCModerator acknowledge? Has there been any updates to this request or when can we expect it to be implemented?

bmr
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

Sometimes it's hard for user to understand why such an "easy" features takes yeeears until it's been realized. I understand that it takes more than just two lines of code but this would make some user really happy.

A solution could look like, that in the type and attribute manager a new constraint for the formatting is being created. Like in Excel to show also some separator: #'##0.00

or

0.0000 for four digits after

@magnus.salomons : this is only an indication that PTC has this idea on their monitor. Perhaps the idea is being realized in the next release, or not...

G_U
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

HI, 

PTC should consider this it should be basic features.

MMoraes
5-Regular Member

I don´t know what is the complexity to implement this option. It´s simple and extremely necessary. It´s not a Product Idea. it´s a bug !!

bmr
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

@PTCModerator can you please forward this idea to a PTC Windchill product manager. This basic idea or bug is already 5 years old and nothing happened. Thanks

G_U
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to highlight this to WIndchill product manager.

BenLoosli
22-Sapphire III

A couple of things to consider.

Windchill Product management has been notified as indicated by the acknowledgement.

Does this change bring in new sales of Windchill? That is a driving factor in getting items like this 'fixed'.

There should be an easy fix by applying a mask field to an attribute of type real and then using that for the display. BUT, do you store the full  14 character length in the database and display only the masked values or do you store the value after it has been shortened to match the mask.

TomU
23-Emerald II

@BenLoosli  wrote:

Does this change bring in new sales of Windchill?

That is the real driver.  Unfortunately the number of votes an idea receives means very, very little.  There are thousands of product ideas and almost none of them ever get implemented or even commented on by product management.  If a product idea doesn't align with an upcoming release's 'theme' or 'new functionality', it's probably not going to happen.

The best chance of getting something like this changed is through face to face conversations with the appropriate product manager.  Hopefully those face to face opportunities will return at future LiveWorx and PTC/USER events.

bmr
17-Peridot
17-Peridot

It will for sure not drive up the sales for PTC, but sometimes the end-user also needs to get a little extra. It's not always catching new fishes, sometimes you also need to listen to the community. Otherwise the system will get so many negative comments... I do like Windchill a lot, I think it's one of the best system out there, but for a SME customer it's really hard to understand, that some "basic/bug" features are not touched even if many other companies have the same request.

I do not have a problem to write some code for a custom data utility, but it is still a customization. I think the development would take no more than two days for PTC (Except testing). But then at least 95 customer would get a small extra in the next version and are happy that PTC is listening to their community.

Otherwise we can stop creating new ideas when PTC is not listening. My thoughts...

pkgna
3-Visitor

This is a real requirement in classification when we enable auto naming. We would like the user to use exact prcision while inputing the data

uai
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

5 years.... and going