Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pi factors within Relex / WQS FIDES Module

Pi factors within Relex / WQS FIDES Module

Current process to input Pi factors (Pi ruggedised, Pi application, Pi lead free, Pi process, Pi placement) is to fill-in answers to associated questionnaires within corresponding support files. This is relevant method when starting from scratch.

But, I must face several issues with this method :

1- When dealing with legacy studies performed with the excel spreadsheet supplied by FIDES working group, it is very inconvenient and time consumming to input them in Relex / WQS.

2- As a matter of being conservative, we are not using the questionnaire result directly but a result with reasonable margins. As a matter of facts, we would work out 1.42 as Pi ruggedised and use 1.5 instead. As this does not correspond to a result that could be obtained from the questionnaire, we face inconsitency issues with results allready included within Customer deliverable reliability cases.

For all those factors, we would like to be able to input a user-defined value within a specific field that would override questionnaire's result.

5 Comments
ptc-2749313
1-Newbie

Thank you for the input.  When we provide support for a standard, we intend to support it as it has been created to enable our customers to be compliant with the standard. 

I'd like to get input from additional sources to validate your approach.  It feels like your approach would invalidate the delivery of FIDES.  It is easy to conceive of situations where a user could either erroneously or purposefully enter Pi Factors that deliver optimistic results.

We do allow you to re-use the questionnaires as appropriate, once created.

ptc-3847122
1-Newbie

Thank you for your quick answer.

I know that questionnaires could be re-used once created thanks to your project creation assistant function which is great. I find most of Relex / WQS features great. But it could be even greater.

But, this does not solve the issue regarding legacy studies and conservative margins. It would be suitable only if you would have to deal with project from scratch.

As my company is a core member of FIDES working group, we have been using FIDES for several years now. Either using the free spreadsheet distributed by the working group, or via a tool promoted by the group. Both of them, based on FIDES group specifications, include the override feature. The new spreadsheet which is being developped by the group also includes it.

Have you been into contact with FIDES working group when developping FIDES module ?

rthomas-2
2-Guest

Hello,

I have currently the same issue with an automotive supplier. He wants to switch from the FIDES excel spreadsheet to Windchill quality solutions (for good reason!). The FIDES Excel spreadsheet uses Pi_application =1,2, but the questionnaires cant exactly reproduce this value. By playing with the questionnaire I was able to produce 1,198, which comes very close to 1,2. Please not that the relative error in the end result is way below (1,2/1,198) due to the FIDES  formula structure.

If the FIDES workgroup really suggests Pi factor overrides, then they MUST publish it in their standard in order to make it official.

Software developers must rely on official standards.

Thomas

rthomas-2
2-Guest

WQS 10.2 offers the ability to override Pi factors.

WQS 10.1 and earlier not.

Thomas

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived