Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility to show exact iterations for Substitute and alternate

Possibility to show exact iterations for Substitute and alternate

1) Possibility to have exact information ( Iteration/Version) for substitue and alternate in :

a) Product structure with filter Baseline

b) History Information page of the object

7 Comments
Participant

If you need the exact Version (Revision/Iteration), maybe consider new Part Number?  If you need to do Lot/Serial tracking maybe consider Part Instances.

This idea just doesn't feel right to me, but I don;t know all the details of your use case.  I can't help but think there is an industry best practice methodology to achieve what you're after...  Not voting down, but can't in good conscience vote up.

Hello ,

If i revise a substitute i can't see which version was used at t-Time on a specific configuration

Participant

How are you tracking a specific configuration and whether or not a substitute is used?

I'm thinking that the Windchill configuration, as the if you build again blueprint would still reference the preferred part and that use of a substitute on a specific physical build is best captured by Part Instance.  If I recall correctly, Unit/Date Effectivity and baseline filters can be applied which would connect you back to the specific versions of all Parts used, including any Substitutes. 

Amethyst

Hi

Subsitutes and Alternates are not the same link.

Substitute is for a particuliar usage link (eg a single product BOM)

where Alternate is in all BOM use cases (plus a cardinality attribute: A can be alternate of B, but B can not be necessary alternate of A )

Agree with Keir, in both case the "child" side of the link is master.  It behave like a BOM usage link

and need Baseline, effectivities for tracking correct release. 

regards

Amethyst

yes

In the Table View

As the "child" side is the Master, Windchill can't identifiy the correct Version without a ConfigSpec.  It is the normal behaviour in this case

If you try to display Alternate/Substitute in BOM Structure View, it should use the ConfigSpec Filter Critera.  And display the resulting Version (LATEST by default)

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged