The PDMLink preference "Set Configuration for Check Out = LATEST" does not apply to the initially selected object by default.
If a user selects an object in their workspace to check-out (and the object happens to be non-latest) the checkout will fail.
It would be nice if the option to include the initially selected object in the LATEST configuration could be checked by default - or have a preference that sets this option by default - to reduce the check-out failures.
This applies when the preference "Allow checkout of non-latest iterations" = "Do not allow checkout of non-latest iterations".
Here is the sequence of events as they exist now...
1. Set Windchill preferences "Allow checkout of non-latest iterations" = "Do not allow checkout of non-latest iterations" and "Set Configuration for Check Out" = "LATEST".
2. Add a non-latest iteration object to a workspace. Note: this is usually due to keeping a workspace for a period of time without updating and the object gets iterated on the server.
3. Select the out-of-date object in the workspace and select File > Checkout.
4. Observe the yellow triangle next to the object on the Advanced tab of the Check Out and Add to Workspace dialog box (Warning: Checkout denied : Non-latest iteration / Warning: A newer version of this object exists on the server).
5. The checkout is denied.
There are two manual operations that allow the checkout.
1. Cancel the checkout and update the workspace and attempt the checkout again.
2. In the Check Out and Add to Workspace dialog box, Change the Configuration to "Latest" (already the default) and select "Apply configuration to the initially selected objects" in the new window that opens.
If only the initially selected object was LATEST by default, (and un-selected if desired) then there would be fewer checkout issues!
Please provide a preference to include the initially selected object in the check-out configuration by default.