Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent add item to ECN if it´s already assigned to an other active ECN

Prevent add item to ECN if it´s already assigned to an other active ECN

Hi

Need a feature to warn or block if a part is added to an ECN if it´s already part of an active ECN. This to prevent parallell changes. 

Example: part 1234 revision A is added to one ECN and revised to part 1234 revision B. Now a user add part 1234 revision B to an ECN and revised to C. C will be a copy of B in that moment. Changes are now done at both B and C. When the ECN´s/Parts are released revision C will not contain changes done in version B. To support this use case, Windchill need to support branching/merging (as Pro/Intralink 3.4).

To prevent users to run in to this issue, Windchill shall warn/block if a part is added as affected item.

5 Comments
cbunes-roa
Gravel

I'm terrified by the idea that this is actually possible and (possibly) in accordance with the current spec. This should in my opinion be handled as a bug because the spec surely must be faulty.

MikkoHinkkanen
Amethyst

Good improvement idea!

JariElomaa
Aquamarine

Another way to prevent the concurrent changes in different revisions of the same part is to freeze the old revision every time a new revision is created. That way all the changes would be always done on the latest revision. That could be accomplished by allowing revising only from a locked state, eg. Approved, Released, Canceled or Obsolete. If a user tries to revise from In work state, it would be blocked with a clear error message.

bmr
Peridot
Peridot

A warning would be good. To block it, a preference is needed since in 12.0.1 the BOM Redlining is implemented. It wouldn't be allowed to have a CN which actually overhauls the current long working CN. In this case, the WTPart needs to be in two different working CN's. 

d_graham
Moonstone

I can write a tool to block this during the creation or editing of the Change Task.

What is the exact requirement? A version cannot appear as Affected or Resulting on multiple CN/CAs where the change objects’ states are not Resolved?

If anyone is interested let me know.