cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Provide a way to upload all objects in all workspaces in one go

Provide a way to upload all objects in all workspaces in one go

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
The organization where I work is in the manufacturing industry.
In the organization I am responsible for the CAD and PDM system administration.
I support about 300 Creo Parametric users.

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?
We are currently working with Creo Parametric 7.0.8.0.

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
As the title of the idea reads, we would like to have a way to upload all objects in all workspaces in one go.

4. What is the use case for your organization?
Before upgrading Windchill, it is well known that it is recommended to upload all relevant data, as the workspace cache may not be compatible with the newer Windchill version after the upgrade.
The previous approach before upgrading is for users to go through workspace by workspace, check for relevant data, and then upload it if necessary.
That's why many of our users have asked me for a way to upload all their data at once.
The general use of the config.pro setting "dm_upload_objects automatic" is not an option for us: The users are strictly against an upload of the data at every save - they want to decide themselves which data will end up on the server and which not.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Since several dozen workspaces can accumulate between our Windchill upgrades, which take place about every 2 years, this usually costs users 1 to 2 working days of time before the upgrades.
With a total of 300 users, this adds up to quite a bit of time.

17 Comments
StephenW
23-Emerald II

@DomenicLaritz  I'm curious as to your reason for not using dm_upload_objects automatic.

We use it. I have noticed sometimes a delay while in the office during upload (minor) but when working offsite, this delay can be significant.

I do also see some issues occasionally with objects that are never intended to be checked in but are in a users workspace (duplicate object/renaming are the 2 that come to mind).

For me, I feel the overall benefit of the workspace upload, primarily as a backup to hard drive failure (which a recent windows update has in to focus for us) is important. But I want to make sure we are not causing unrecognized issues by using the option, hence the question.

DomenicLaritz
16-Pearl

Hello @StephenW,

there are several reasons why we don't use "dm_upload_objects automatic":

1. We have many users like external engineering companies or home office users that are connected to our Windchill server via VPN.
    For them, the save-upload process takes correspondingly longer than in-house and the waiting times are perceived as quite annoying.
  2. Another problem is the duplicate name conflicts you mentioned earlier.
  3. Many of our users also use the server-side workspace as a temporary "cache" for drafts:
    If you use the "Re-add existing object(s) in the workspace to update content" (green plus button) in the local workspace, you get the server-side workspace content if the corresponding objects have been uploaded before.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Understood, thanks @DomenicLaritz . These are all known issues to us. Thanks for the information!

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @DomenicLaritz for your idea and @StephenW for the inquiry. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

ChristianHeil
6-Contributor

In addition to regulary Windchill updates I am thinking of following use cases:

• (longer) vacation of designers
  • designer is leaving company or changing his job

Based on that not only upload might be enough, even check-in for all objects in same step, to make sure all working data is available in commonspace.

rklesch
12-Amethyst

Hello,

long time ago, I had the same idea but in the oppostite direction:  Update of all workspaces in one action.
My enhancement request about this point was not successfull.

@olivierlp  : Shall I post this as a new idea or could it be part of the original aim?

Thanks and best regards!

olivierlp
Community Manager

Hi @rklesch I'd suggest to post it as a new idea, fully documented. and feel free to make a reference to this one here. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

This idea should be limited to an administrator function.

rklesch
12-Amethyst

Hello @BenLoosli,

maybe it should be configurable by admin, if possible or no.

In my opinion, the final action (upload, same for download) should be decided by end users.

We do have users with a multiple workspaces containing Thousands of models. Not everything new or changed has to be uploaded.

I´d suggest to place this action in the Windchill homepage / Workspaces in a linked CAD session. Then select workspaces and utilize new functionality e.g. UPLOAD ALL.

A forced upload by admin could also be useful, but the user- clients would have to be online for that.

Best regards!

rklesch
12-Amethyst

Hello @olivierlp ,

a general question: Does this really belong to creo? Isn´t it a Windchill-topic? just to make sure that I place my update-idea in the right corner.

Thanks & best regards!

olivierlp
Community Manager

Done. Thanks for the suggestion @rklesch!

@DomenicLaritz: I hope it makes sense to you too. Please mention the Windchill version you are using in relation to this idea. 

DomenicLaritz
16-Pearl

The shift to Windchill ideas is fine with me.

Currently we are using Windchill version 12.0.2.7.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@DomenicLaritz: based on the information you provided, I am acknowledging this for the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite
Status changed to: Alternate Solution

Hello.

Instead of providing a tool to upload from every user's local machine, PTC is working on eliminating the need to upload before Creo, WWGM or Windchill upgrades.

The WGM Cache contents may need to change based on how the client (i.e. Creo or WWGM) communicates with the current version of the Windchill server.  The possible communication format is controlled by the client version you are using.  The client may communicate in an older format when connected to an older Windchill server and in a newer format when connected to the latest server.  Based on the communication mechanism used, the WGM cache may require an upgrade.  

As a result, starting with Creo 9.0, PTC has added automated testing of WGM cache upgrade for each Creo MOR and major version change with all its supported Windchill versions.

Similarly, as of WWGM 12.1.2.0 and Windchill 12.1.2.0 PTC has added testing of cache upgrade for each new WWGM version.

Additionally, during Windchill upgrade testing, the supported versions of the client are tested with updated and upgraded versions of the Windchill server. (e.g. Creo 9.0 was tested with an upgrade of Windchill 12.1.2 to Windchill 13.0.0; but not Creo 7.0, since it is not supported with Windchill 13.0.0)

Let me know if you have any additional comments.

Thanks

Jennifer

DomenicLaritz
16-Pearl

Hi @JenniferPierron,

if the intercompatibility between the newer Creo and Windchill versions really works as well as it sounds, then that is an acceptable solution for me.
I just hope that with our amount of users, there are not again some where the cache has become corrupt despite everything by an upgrade.
But I am positive and trust that your software developers have done a good job and that in the future everything will work as you described.

Regards,
Domenic

rklesch
12-Amethyst

Hello Jennifer,

thank You for Your response. The alternate solution sounds very good to me, too. Ideally, it would be nice to have an official PTC-document for our IT about that, if avaliable. Today, we suggest to our users an update when changing minor releases of creo. But it is just a suggestion to go for sure.

Today, having a new creo major release, for us is always a new cache-directory. Every MOR of creo forces us to upload and/or checkin. With this upcoming solution, we could stay with the same cache-folder.

The usecase of just uploading lot of data from several WS at one action would still remain. Do You have any plans to cover that, too?

Best regards,

Rudi

JenniferPierron
14-Alexandrite

Hello All.

I plan to update this help center topic:

https://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/r13.0.0.0/en/?_gl=1*1olaiao*_ga*MTcxOTU3MjkyMi4xNjYzNjAwMzIx*_ga_1QBT6P6HR1*MTY4Nzg2Mzg4NC4zMjUuMS4xNjg3ODYzOTQ0LjAuMC4w*_ga_CBN5QVB9VJ*MTY4Nzg2Mzg4NC4xNTcuMS4xNjg3ODYzOTQ0LjAuMC4w%23page/Windchill_Help_Center/WCUpgradeGuide/WCUpgrade_CreoCacheCompatibility.htm...

Here is the draft:

Creo Parametric Cache Compatibility (ptc.com) 

To eliminate the need to upload all files before a Windchill server upgrade or update, PTC is working on ensuring that the WGM cache can always be retained and compatible even after upgrading your Windchill server. The WGM Cache contents are based on how the client (i.e., Creo or WWGM) communicates with the current version of the Windchill server.  The possible communication format is controlled by the client version being used.  The client may communicate in an older cache format when connected to an older Windchill server and in a newer format when connected to the latest server. It is these communication format changes that required the WGM cache to be deleted and recreated in earlier versions of Windchill and client and why PTC recommended uploading all local files before performing a Windchill update or upgrade. 

Starting with Creo 9.0, PTC supports WGM cache compatibility for each Creo MOR and major version changes with all its supported Windchill versions eliminating the need to upload, delete and recreate WGM cache. 

Similarly, starting with WWGM 12.1.2.0, PTC supports WGM cache compatibility for each new WWGM version and major version change with all its supported Windchill versions. 

Additionally, starting from Windchill 12.0.2, Windchill upgrade supports WGM cache compatibility for Creo 9.0 and WWGM 12.1.2 and above.   

If your company is using a WGM older than Creo 9.0 or WWGM 12.1.2, then cache compatibility is not supported during Windchill upgrade.  Local CAD documents in workspace should be uploaded before Windchill upgrade in case the WGM cache needs to be recreated after upgrade. 

Caveats: 

• WGM Cache compatibility during WGM upgrade and Windchill upgrade is supported within the supported PTC compatibility matrix.  For more information about compatibility see: 
  • Running Creo with WGM cache generated in higher Creo version is NOT supported. If you have multiple major versions of Creo (e.g., Creo 9.0 and Creo 10.0) for the same user on the same machine, then using the same cache for both Creo versions is NOT supported.  To benefit from these changes, you must have different caches for each major Creo version. For more information about how to configure Creo to use different caches, see this Article CS44499. 
  • Running WWGM with WGM cache generated in higher WWGM version is not supported. If you use multiple versions of the WWGM for the same user on the same machine, then using the same cache for both WWGM versions is not supported.  To benefit from these changes, you must have different caches for each major WWGM version.    For more information about how to configure WWGM to use different caches, see this Article CS212589.