Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redesign of the Windchill Discussion

Redesign of the Windchill Discussion

Add a new, more powerful discussion possibility to the common Windchill interface. Since more and more companies working with the change management or go even a step further with QMS (CAPA, Nonconformance, Customer Experience) or project management, the discussion page needs a makeover. This feature hasn't gotten any improvements the last few years.

The discussion page should look like this forum!

• Rich text with images included New WYSIWYG (Rich Text) Attribute type
  • Tags
  • Mark as best answer
  • Add topics (as yet) so manufacturing and engineering can discuss in different topics
  • History. So the user can edit and delete entries but they are still visible in the history
  • Inline editing and no popups
  • Subscriptions
9 Comments
Participant

Discussion Forum API's to make the related API's public so that Customizers/Administrators can enhance functionality.  I had been requested to satisfy two business needs but was unable to do so with supported/public API's.

1. Was asked for ways that Discussions could get traction and start being used.
  2. Address User frustration over the "hidden-ness" of the process votes and comments.  The Change Object Discussion would be a great place to present the full discussion.

For process related Discussions making the Discussion Forum available in the Task Form is helpful but the decision making discussion is still in the process and I would like to be able to image it into standard Change Object Topics.

Another consideration should be level of detail at which a discussion takes place.  Engineers and Designers may want to discuss a particular part or assembly but Managers may want to be able to see the existence of discussions at the detail level from a more macro level... example: being able to see the existence of part or document level discussions (right and are we discussing the Part or the Drawing?) from a Product, Project or Program level and drill down to see the details.  High level Discussions are still needed as well. 

Bjoern Rueegg‌, thanks for posting. I held a few TC sessions on this topic over the years and it failed to make any traction other then the FlexPLM community who have been asking for updates and improvements for a few years now. There is a high interest level in this area, but also high disappointment with the current capabilities. Most people are familiar with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and so many of the other Web 2.0 social media tools. Using Windchill Discussions can be a disappointment when it does not have similar capabilities. The capabilities you listed are generally expected in a text communication and collaboration tool these days, not to mention full mobile integration. Keep voting

Peridot

Scott Morris, thanks for your feedback. I've discussed this at PTCLiveWorx in Stuttgart. A Product Manager told me that some of the Flex PLM discussion functionality are also available in PDMLink. Did you hear about some hidden xconf properties?

Peridot

I'm still waiting for any suggestion. Please also post some ideas how you discuss problems and store it somewhere (Not E-Mails and Skype...). Are there any better solutions around?

Would I like to know the status of this idea? Will it be implemented?  I would like to add the options to configure the permission on Discussion topics. 

Peridot

This idea still doesn't have any status! As far I could see in Windchill 11.1 nothing has changed. Some attributes from the Change Objects have received the possibility to enter rich-text attributes, but not the discussion.

Moonstone

@bmr, my apologies for the late, late reply. I just saw your update note today. Hopefully you have seen the 10.1 updates, but I am not aware of any additional updates that occurred in beyond 10.1. In my opinion, this functionality needs a complete overhaul, it is far beyond deficient at this point. I'll PM you the presentation from 10.1 since I cannot figure out how to add an attachment in this new community platform.

I created a new post named "Redesign of the Windchill Discussion" with the attachment.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

It would be nice if the "Add Participants" functionality in the Discussions section allowed individual User selection, even if only Groups are used in the Context Team.