Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove all java applets in Windchill

Remove all java applets in Windchill

Since java seems to be a security issue for the client machines,

all java applets should be removed and exchanged by JSP (or compareable functions).

It should be easily possible to replace atleast the most of the common used java applets.

It also reduces the software complexity if on the client side java must not be installed anymore.

See also: PTC Announcement from 25-Nov-2013 Updates regarding Java 7 Client Support with PTC Windchill Solutions

53 Comments

Hi Scott, is there any reason why you exclude IE completely?

Should it not be possible to make this working at least in IE 11?

sm
Level 1

I can comment from my own viewpoint. Its my understanding that PTC did not choose to exclude it intentionally. To fully support all the variations of IE, PTC runs Windchill in a specific IE mode. This is very common for enterprise applications trying to support many versions of IE. Regarding HTML5, PTC decided to implement a larger change to remove this in the next major release of Windchill, allowing IE to run in it's native mode, the same way other browsers are supported. It would not be a good idea to make such a change in a maintenance release of Windchill and the company decided to implement the change in the next major release instead. This would give PTC a bit more time to validate the change and companies to continue running their existing systems without any additional risk. I realize this does not get you drag-n-drop any faster for IE, but it will open up IE for full HTML5 support in "Edge" mode with the next release.

Level 11

As I heard, only the Process Manager applet will be replaced in PDMLink 11. The workflow designer will still be the applet. If this is true, I'm a little bit disappointed... I hopped since PTC makes the big step to 11 at least the applets are gone. Perhaps I'm wrong and PTC releases some big features?!? Chrome won't be able to run the Java applets from begin of September 2015 anymore and it's only a question of time until the other browsers restrict that too.

One point:

"File Upload" applet is removed fro Chrome, FireFox .... BUT not for IE.

Level 10

Hi Marco

thanks for this.

We are now in July 2015, I wonder if there is an update. It would be great that everything runs directly with HTML 5 even ProductView.......

Best regards

Level 13

Hi Chris,

X-26 version, officially called 11.0, should be out at the end of the year.

Here Video: PTC Live Global 2015 Keynotes | PTC you can find the most important keynotes from last PTC Live Global.

Look at the video called Windchill Roadmap and you'll see more about removing java applets.

Level 10

thanks

Level 13

In this article you can see in which version of Windchill java applets will be removed.

For some applets there isn't still a date/version.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS160578

Level 11

Thanks for the provided case Marco Tosin

So now the question is what is being realized in Windchill 11? There are some applets which are dropped in the case compared to the presentation roadmap at PTC Live Global. e.g. Workflow Admin, Policy Admin, File Vault Admin..., actually most of the important applets.... And since Chrome is not supporting any plugins anymore, I actually hopped, all of the plugins are being replaced.

Document_Details_-_CS160578.png

PTC103_WC_PTC_Windchill_Business_and_Administrative_Roadmap_pdf__page_16_of_19_.png

Level 13

Björn,

as you can see comparing the two pictures, PTC has postponed Windchill 11 release (X-26) from july to december.

I suppose that, because of this delay, they have also removed the update of some java applets.

Level 10

Hi sm

While is this idea still open for voting when clearly PTC is already implementing support for HTML5 ?

Best regards

sm
Level 1

Got you covered. I updated the status to Implementation in Progress.

Level 10

Thank you Scott.

Level 11

Hi Scott

you set the state to in progress. Can you please tell us, when all of the applets are gone? See the comment further down (Aug 28, 2015 4:10 PM) where I compared two different information sources. Most applets are moved back to the next major release (Windchill 12???). I'm not happy with this information at all. I understand that PTC can't cover everything, but since most Browser won't support any plugins anymore, I think this idea needs to get one of the highest priority! And PTC should also present a solution with Creo Viewer Plugin which is also not supported anymore...

These applets and plugins are just a pain and it's getting complicated every time the browser are receiving any updates.

Thanks

Level 10

Very good point Björn

Considering we, (in my new company) are still in the evaluation phase (while PTC is the strongest contender at the moment), I have not bought the solution yet and I know from past experience how painful it is. I entirely share Björn concern.

Maybe I should update the RFQ and add this aspect that no more plug in is required. (Like PLM 360 for instance).

Best regards

Level 10

Also considering that the idea is 2 years old, voted by a large number of Windchill lovers. I hope this does not reflect the lack of commitment of PTC to develop their products and listening to one of the main Lean principle.  VoC (Voice of the Customer).

I am after a partner for my new PLM Journey and not a provider.

Thanks

sm
Level 1

Unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer on the current state and progress of Java Applet removal. I will ask one of the Product Managers responsible for this area to post and update.

Level 11

Thanks Scott

Looking forward to your answer.

Level 8

FYI: since the NPAPI plugin technology will be deprecated soon by the large browser developers (CS197208, CS197208) "Oracle plans to deprecate the Java browser plugin in JDK 9. This technology will be removed from th...

The applet free java version 9 will probably be available March 2017.

I hope this give PTC an other push to replace the applets as soon as possible.

Looking at the still open points in the PTC plans to address Java applet issues (CS160578), PTC has to work eager on their plan to remove the applets in Windchill.

Especially if you keep in mind that most customers are not running the latest version of Windchill and update plans must often be undertaken one year in advance.

Level 11

you need to switch to Thingworx. There you don't have any Java Applets

Level 8

Are there any new release dates for the applets?

Especially for the wide spread and very often used applets like:

• File Vault Management (very important, heavily used!)
  • Workflow Template Administration
  • Lifecycle Template Editor and Lifecycle Template List

I hoped, that these would be replaced right at the beginning.

Level 13

They are only used by admins so it would be of less importance than the applets used by the rest of the regular users.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Current Functionality

Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Level 15

Can we get a list of the version/build that the replaced applets were released in?

There was a nice one above, but still had open dates in 2015.

I am running 11.0 M030 CPS08 and I still have applets.

When was the LAST applet replaced?