Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove functionality inconsistencies across the Windchill product family

Remove functionality inconsistencies across the Windchill product family

Hello all,

I have seen many posts and discussions about inconsistencies between the Windchill Product Family.

One example is Revise of a WTpart. If you revise a wtpart from the Workspace, there is a collector, if you revise from PDMLink there is no collector why ?

There are also many comments highlighting that from an end user perspective it seems there is little collaboration between the development teams at PTC. This is quite paradoxal when PTC promote concurrent engineering, best practices etc....  It is expected that they would lead by example

Please let me invite all the Windchill lovers (and its detractors ) to post here all the inconsistencies you have discovered.  Do not forget to put the version and datecode of Windchill or the module as the inconsistency may have been removed in a newer version.

Let's work together and help PTC to be the ultimate PLM solutions provider

I hope, if that is not already the case, PTC will appreciate our (us end users) concerns about those inconsistencies and set up a project to not only remove them all but also ensure this is no longer happening.  If Windchill is to be seen as a unique fully integrated PLM environment, there should be no inconsistency across the board and more re-use of their "components".

Awaiting for your comments

Best regards

11 Comments
Moonstone

Here is a related Product Idea for Rich Text Editors in Windchill: New WYSIWYG (Rich Text) Attribute type

Evidently it already exists in Windchill in one specific area only.

Pearl

Something which also needs to be considered is to use the same code for creating tables, wizards etc.

e.g.

• CAPA (It's developed for Windchill 10!) is still using rbinfo files rather than global enumerations
  • CAPA uses hard coded tables! Some columns even have hard coded required attributes

Why can't we paste a Note onto an article, the same way as we can paste a WTDocument onto an article?  We can add Notes to the Windchill Clipboard, but there is no 'Paste' nor an action menu in the header of the table displaying Notes for articles. 

For articles, there is a tab 'Where Used'.  For CADdocuments, the 'Where Used' is implemented as a table in the Related Objects.  Confusing for the casual user.

Thanks guys.

I am surprised of the lack of interest after reading so many comments about inconsistencies in the GUI and UX in Windchill and across the modules ?

Can it be that they have all been removed in the latest built and I did not know ? I could delete the idea then

Best regards

Pearl

We just have to comment it every day, so it stays at the top

Opal

And don't forget to post the version and build per Chris's suggestion.

Aquamarine

It is hard for me to differentiate between bugs and inconsistencies.  Besides that most of the inconsistencies I would call out have already been discussed in other areas of this website (e.g. performing actions on multiple objects from search results page, the down arrow works in check in comments but not in ECN comments, etc)

PDMLink 10.1 M030 M050

Pearl

Sequence number for change tasks.

The library to start change tasks parallel or in a sequence is in project link. PJL needs to be installed to have this preference available. This function needs to be a basic function so a Change Notice or also CAPA can have this necessary functionality.

Garnet

Please add the option to create a new Change Notice, Change Request and Problem Report to the Actions menu of the Search Results table.

The requested functionality is already available in the Actions menu of a Folder Contents table, but not on the Search Results table.

SearchResults_NewCR.png

There is already an idea for this. Please vote, if this would be useful to you:

In search results, select multiple objects, create new Change Notice, Change Request or Problem Repo...t

Windchill 10.2 M030

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged