cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Repeating Email Notifications for Overdue Tasks

Repeating Email Notifications for Overdue Tasks

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Industrial Hydraulic Manufacturing..  I am responsible for CAD admin and PDMLink admin activities.

2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Many of our users either forget they have a task or don't realize they even have one.

4. What is the use case for your organization?
There is an option to send a reminder email notifications but those options are not repeatable after a certain number of times.

STEVEG_0-1664465958830.png

I would propose adding an option for being able to send a reminder email to the user about the tasks.

Being able to send a reminder email every 15, 30 or 60 days would be extremely useful.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Right now I have to spend many hours reviewing different reports I created to see who has an open task, how long they have had it for, checking my emails to see if I sent them a reminder before, then sending a new email or forwarding an email I sent previously to remind them of the tasks.

5 Comments
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Great idea Steve!!!

To solve the problem you reported, we were forced to create a customization that retrieves active tasks based on the context where they were created (based on product lines) and then sends them in Excel format to the relevant project manager to prompt users to complete the tasks.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @STEVEG for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Much needed and overdue!

joe_morton
17-Peridot

Great idea!

We have 2 workarounds (developed at different times):

With a data monitor that runs daily, you can send emails to a manager if one of their reports' tasks is overdue. This is cumbersome to set up, since you might have to make many data monitors. We only did this for one or two really important workflows.

The better workaround is to add a timer in the workflow for each task. The timer can repeat daily and if task is overdue send a reminder. Again, not a really good solution - still just a workaround.

Ghanesh
3-Visitor

On all workflows, we need functionality for triggering nagging daily/weekly reminders to the task owner from a certain number of days after the task has started. Once the due date of the task is reached we need the escalation notifications to be triggered to the manager of the Task Owner.  Until the task is completed there shall be daily or weekly notifications sent to the Task Owner and Owner's manager. Windchill workflows need to provide such a base design where these functionalities can be achieved. 

• The current WC workflow has the capability to only send one Reminder notification and there is no feature to send an Escalation notification. 
  • Seagate's past PDM used to have these functionalities in PDM workflows until we migrated to Windchill and then we lost these functionalities as Windchill workflow doesn't provide these features. Many workflows in Teamcenter used to have recurring Daily reminders to Task Analysts who have a task pending until closure. Workflows like ECN/PCA and Documents Annual Review processes had features to send escalation notifications to the Manager of Task Analyst when the task has crossed the due date. Document Annual Review workflow even had the feature to escalate to the second level manager if the task is open after escalation to the first level manager escalation or Task Analyst. 
  • These features are needed in Windchill workflows as well. Since these features are available OOTB in Windchill, we are unable to establish fully accountable business process.

What preferred fix is

• PTC WC Workflow engine Deadline management should have provision to:
  • Send repeated reminders after certain days if the task is not complete. 
  • be integrated with the User Profile of the Task Analyst so that workflow can send Escalation notifications to 1st and/ or 2nd-level Manager based on a closure 

Describing a total solution with both nagging Reminders and Escalation I have submitted this idea. please review.  https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/Repeated-Reminders-Weekly-Daily-Nagging-Notifications-and/idi-p/840745#M15665