cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Request to Republish on a Rename

Request to Republish on a Rename

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Industrial Hydraulic Manufacturing.  I am responsible for CAD admin and PDMLink admin activities.

2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Many of our users will rename drawings after they check files in to the database.  There is an option to turn republishing on for several activities but not one for Rename only.  When we turned that on for testing it was republishing too many actions.

Since the name of the item is shown on the drawing then the published view does not have the latest name shown.  Therefore, when someone looks at the published view it has the wrong name in the title block.

4. What is the use case for your organization?
When the drawing gets renamed there should be a setting that can republish on Rename ONLY.  Separate from the other actions it will republish on.

Many times our users checks a CAD file in without an assigned number.  This could be for many reasons.  Then at some point they get the assigned number and they rename the files in commonspace.

Or sometimes they have a number already assigned but have to rename it because it now needs to be prototype and we have a slightly different naming convention for prototypes.  They may have already been done with the drawing and therefore won't check it back in.  The published view will be wrong.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

The user knows they have two options.

1. They can manually delete the existing published view then republish manually.

2. They can make sure they check it out, make a small change and check it back in.

This is more work for the user.  We want to make less work, not more.  It is more than likely the user will forget to do one of these and lead to errors and incorrect information.  We need to make sure the published view is correct and done automatically without relying on the user.

12 Comments
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

I created this idea before, but it was archived so I created the same request under the new guidelines.

Republish on a Rename - PTC Community

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

How does the renamed information get into the saved files?

Publishing does not save the files after they are published. The viewable will be updated by the publishing but the data in the saved files will still be out-of-date. When the file is loaded into Creo again, it will need to be regenerated to get the latest names into the proper parameters.

We require any rename to be loaded into Creo and regenerated to force the latest information into the proper parameters and then checked back in to Windchill where the republish will take place. We ae using relations to extract the file number for use in the drawing border, so that may be why we have to do the Creo step.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Agree w/Ben,

Great to automate republish in general, but not for Rename. Need to ensure that all is updated after the Rename.

Rename changes may extend to family tables, simp rep's, tables on Drawings, etc., etc.  Likely will never fully get away from human eyes verifying such.

joe_morton
17-Peridot

@BenLoosli - we were using relations as well to get Number. I think it was Windchill 11.1 (?) that made PTC_WM_PART_NUMBER available in Creo. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Joe,

There are a lot of new parameters in Windchill and Creo 7 and above that we have not taken advantage of yet.

We run 2 Windchill systems, shutdown a 3rd system in July, and the support team of Me, Myself and I has enough on the plate just trying to get Windchill upgraded to 12,0,2 and then Creo 8/9.

If I get to the point where upgrades are not my #1 priority, then I may look at utilizing some revised parameters and relations in new start parts, formats and drawing templates. My back of mind concern is changes to formats and tables and how to handle existing parts that may not have any new required relations, etc. If I can do it with PTC supplied parameters and eliminate some of our relations, that may work.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@joe_morton

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs347570

"Functionality is made available with Creo Parametric 6.0.0.0 or higher with Windchill PDMLink 11.1 M020 or higher, Windchill PDMLink 11.2.0.0 or higher..."

LawrenceS
18-Opal

It makes sense that for certain companies this may not work well for them due to things like relations requiring reloading in Creo, and in those cases they would simply not have this option on.  However, for companies like us where all that needs doing is republishing, we would like to have the option because the republishing often gets missed and the CreoView drawing view is very confusing.  In our case, there are not any relations that need updating because the drawing format just uses the OOTB filename/number and Creo/Windchill are smart enough to figure that all out.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @STEVEG  for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

@BenLoosli @MikeLockwood 

As Lawrence states, we use "&dwg_name" in the title block.  When someone renames the drawing and model (we mandate the drawing and model must be the same File Name) the CreoView image is out of date.  It must be republished.

As an example to explain how it works at our company:

User checks files in as one name as prototype with prototype naming convention.

User needs to rename files as it's been decided to release a pilot or production using those naming convention.

User does not need to make any other changes to files so it won't be checked in again.  Therefore it won't be republished.

User completes CN and view is still showing incorrect number in the title block.

If there was a "Republish on Rename" only then it will update the view for us automatically.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Great example - appreciate the clarification.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

I hope having only 9 people that voted at this time for this idea isn't a deterrent to getting this implemented.  The other idea I created for this same topic had 24 people voted.  1 shy of the required 25.

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Agreed Steve! Admin requests should have a lower limit on these forums because impacts more users while normal users wouldn't have a clue.