1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. Industrial Hydraulic Manufacturing. I am responsible for CAD admin and PDMLink admin activities.
2. What version of Windchill are you currently running? 22.214.171.124
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video. Many of our users will rename drawings after they check files in to the database. There is an option to turn republishing on for several activities but not one for Rename only. When we turned that on for testing it was republishing too many actions.
Since the name of the item is shown on the drawing then the published view does not have the latest name shown. Therefore, when someone looks at the published view it has the wrong name in the title block.
4. What is the use case for your organization? When the drawing gets renamed there should be a setting that can republish on Rename ONLY. Separate from the other actions it will republish on.
Many times our users checks a CAD file in without an assigned number. This could be for many reasons. Then at some point they get the assigned number and they rename the files in commonspace.
Or sometimes they have a number already assigned but have to rename it because it now needs to be prototype and we have a slightly different naming convention for prototypes. They may have already been done with the drawing and therefore won't check it back in. The published view will be wrong.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
The user knows they have two options.
1. They can manually delete the existing published view then republish manually.
2. They can make sure they check it out, make a small change and check it back in.
This is more work for the user. We want to make less work, not more. It is more than likely the user will forget to do one of these and lead to errors and incorrect information. We need to make sure the published view is correct and done automatically without relying on the user.