Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset attribute values during "save as" & revise

Reset attribute values during "save as" & revise

In a state of the art PLM system you want to keep the data quality as high as possible.

You enfore the users to fill out required attributes, to follow special formatting rules etc.

But it is common that values which got entered for a source object are not any longer valid for a copy of it.

And even for a new revision of the same object some attributes might not be valid anymore.

Windchill should support such a configuration OOTB by preference seetings which specifies

Attributes to be reset on "Save As" = IBA1, IBA2, Master IBA4, not sure about MBA3 - modeled but would be superb to support all kinds of attributes

Attributes to be reset on "Revise" = IBA1, IBA2 - in my opinion it would be sufficient to support just IBAs

Attribute Reset value on "Save As" = Default, Remove

Attribute Reset value on "Revise" = Default, Remove

Default will set the Default defined in the type manager

Remove will remove the value after revise/copy and will enforce new data entry again for required attributes

10 Comments
Level 12

Oliver,

nice idea

we've got exactly this need, and today handle it by customization in a listener..

with some limitations, cause notably for attributes with a required constraint that we "remove" on save as

the enforcement is only controlled in the next checkin ....

regards

Level 11

I just voted again for this idea. Hope this is finally coming in Windchill 11!?! The user are requesting this feature since ever...

Pleas see also the similar ideas to this:

remove attribute value during revise or save as

during save as it should be possible to change additional attributes

Modify custom attributes while doing a "Save As"of an object

Perhaps there are even more ideas around.

(I would already be happy, if you just could add some attributes to the list and edit it...This would be the deluxe version)

Level 9

Supporting manual attribute modification during revise & save as wizard would be another request.

Björn you are fully right, this would be very nice enhancement since the values can have impact on numbering rules as well.

It is also horrible to customize.

Level 9

Hello Gregory. Which listener? Is there an Event class that manages "Save as" event?

Thanks

Level 9

You can listen for the save as history which throws the create event. After that you can wipe out the attributes

Level 9

Hello Oliver, thanks for you suggestion but...what about EnterpriseServiceEvent.POST_COPY ?

I found it this morning and it seems exactly what I'm searching.

Anyone used it?

Level 1

Hi Nicola,

Did you try using EnterpriseServiceEvent.POST_COPY?

I tried and have not had success with it.

Thanks and Regards

Midhun Mathew

Level 9

Hello Midhun, why?
I'm now using it with satisfaction.

Level 1

Hi Nicola,

I had a typo issue with the code. And it works now for me as well. Thank you

Midhun

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Consideration