Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision of older versions

Revision of older versions

Current version in use: Windchill PDMLink 10.1 M020

Current default: Users can add old versions to their workspace. If this older version is not set to a restricted life-cycle state, user may check out non-latest version, modify, and check in.

Note that setting the perference 'Allow checkout of non-latest iterations'  to 'Do not allow checkout of non-latest iterations' does not prevent this. This preference simply locks old iterations of each version, without locking old versions.

B.2 - can be checked out and modified

B.1 - cannot be checked out and modified

B.0 - cannot be checked out and modified

A.2 - CAN BE CHECKED OUT AND MODIFIED (This is the problem area.)

A.1 - cannot be checked out and modified

A.0 - cannot be checked out and modified

The problem area described above can have its lifecycle changed to restrict this checkout process. The problem with this as a solution is A) each file is unknown until a user stumbled across it, B) the quantity of legacy files makes searching and then changing burdensome.

The other solution is to make sure users never mistakenly checkout and modify old versions. In other words, make sure users never make a mistake. Might as well try to stop the earth's rotation. With users making this mistake, it ends up having the potential of creating a tremendous problem when modifying CAD docs for change requests or release. The users make modifications to a non-latest version, wasting many hours/days while the admin also has to go in and clean up the problem.

Suggestion: Allow the admin to determine whether to allow older versions to be checked out or not instead of the current behavior of only checking for non-latest iterations.

4 Comments

This can be solved by small customization preventing CheckOut for non latest revision. I will have to do this now at one of our customers.

Visitor

In my point of view this can be handled by a clear lifecycle-mgmt.-strategy.

If it would look like this

B.2 - In Work or Released

B.1 - In Work

B.0 - In Work

A.2 - Released

A.1 - In Work

A.0 - In Work

you shouldn't have any trouble.

Otherwise

B.2 - In Work or Released

B.1 - In Work

B.0 - In Work

A.2 - In Work

A.1 - In Work

A.0 - In Work

A.2 can become B.3 - which is also OK!

Turquoise

Yes it can be ok.  But as a general rule we do not have a reason to do that.  I'm not saying we haven't because we have.  But as a default we turn it off.  If someone needs to do that then I change the setting so that user can then I turn it off again.

I don't remember if that option was there in 9.0 when we went to PDMLink or was added to 10.x. but we have used it twice.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged