Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save as for WTPart and WTDocuments

Save as for WTPart and WTDocuments

Out of the box it's not possible to save a WTPart with their documents to a new number.

The Save As collector for WTDocuments is not available in the wizard. Please add this possibility to create a complete copy of a document with the part and revise. Also add the action to the WTDocument to save this document to a new number. At the moment it's only possible if you copy the WTDocument and paste it in a folder. Then a copy will be created. The behavior should be the same as to the CAD-Document.

26 Comments
sm

YES! I am right there with you on this one. This is a long time limitation in Windchill that has not been addressed. PTC should provide a way to create a copy of the part strucutre and give you the option of how to handle the associated documents; ignore, include originals, create copies.

While we're talking about it. I would also add support for Save As for Windchill Documents in general. This is another capability that is not supported, requiring people to find other creative ways to create a copy of document (copy/paste or download/upload as new).

Moonstone

I would like the Save As for Windchill Documents in general also.  Our use case is that we have soft type documents that we use for engineering workflows to stop the paper copies.  Once in a while we will need to duplicate one for a new request or duplicate it and make a slight change for something new.

sm

Customer Support Article CS189027

Agree with the above, this is a major limitation in Windchill and would make many users lives a lot easier.  I keep waiting for this at every new release..  so far not much luck though.

Pearl

Hi Scott

Do you have some information about this idea? Is it implemented in 10.2M030 or is it comming in 10.3?

I think the votes are showing that it's at the moment really painful...

sm

Unfortunately, I am not working on Windchill any more, but I know this issue has been escalated and is being considered for a future release. It is not implemented in 10.2_M030 and I'm not aware of plans for 10.3 at this time.

Pearl

I suffer with you

Save-as should support the following:

1)  The ability to perform a Save-As on a Part and copy original document structure.

2)  The ability to perform a Save-As on a Part and copy existing document structure with the option to save the documents to new numbers.

3) The ability to perform a Save-As on a Document and copy existing document structure.

4) The ability to perform a Save-As on a Document and copy existing document structure with the option to save the documents to new numbers.

5) The ability to configure which document types will be copied into structure when performing a Save-As from a Document or Part.

Note:  Save as for a part allows collection of related objectsSave as is not available for documents

I would also support a Save-As capability on Change objects as well.  This would include making a copy of the Change Notice and Change Task relationship.

sm

Rainer Weber‌, I added a PDF to this idea that will capture the request you made above. Hopefully it will add a bit more clarity about what is being asked for in this request.

Pearl

I think it would be finally the right time to have an implemented solution for this idea. Jeffrey Zemsky‌ are there any existing plans for this idea? The pdf shows me, that even PTC employees discussed that in 2013...

Participant

Thought Windchill 11 will bring this functionality of saving an entire structure including WTDocuments. Still not there yet.

Granite

It is not even possible to add or remove documents after doing a save as of a wtpart in workspace

workspace_doc.jpg

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Participant

I would add a option to not link the document.

Marble

The majority of our use cases for Save As with a WTPart will include Save As for an associated WTDocument as well. Highly support the requested capability, as having the ability to perform a Save As for the WTPart and selectively for its associated WTDocuments simultaneously would be a fantastic efficiency improvement!

Aquamarine
Status changed to: Implementation In Progress

Pearl

Looks to have a solution after 4 years...

screenshot-2018-06-08_03-04-05_PM.png

Alexandrite

This capability for Commmonspace Save As for and including WTDocuments in now available with 11.1 M010.

Alexandrite
Status changed to: Current Functionality

Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Community Manager
Status changed to: New Idea

Release:  [11.1 M010]

Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Release:  11.1 M010

The idea to have a kind of "WTPart Template" with all the necessary documentation linked is more efficient instead of create every time, one by one each document individually or link an existing document used for the same WTPart technology. It's a way also to have a consistency in the Definition File and documentation of the WTPart  for a same typology.

This case is useful when a Designer creates often the same type of part (molded Part, sheet metal Part, soldered Part...), give him the possibility to make re-use of a mandatory existing documents and maintain the consistency of the documentation with a reduced effort (less click, less mistakes).