Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save as should follow attribute constraints for Name and Number

Save as should follow attribute constraints for Name and Number

According to Article CS153516 Save As does not follow the same constraints set for new part creation.  This will cause issues in downstream systems like SAP where there are limits to the number of characters.  This causes failures in the transactions to these systems ultimately slowing down your release process.

6 Comments

It's a pity I only can vote once!

Hugo.

Marble

I don't think that the title is well choosen here. If you take this idea it would prevent to copy any legacy object which has not fullfilled the constraints.

This is not practical since certain constraints get introduced later on. Since you can not change the attributes during save as this would be a blocker.

You should change the title to "Save as should follow attribute constraints for Name and Number". This is much more clear and makes sense.

See here where I have some related request for the numbering format Reg Expressions should be evaluated for number attribute

Visitor

I have changed the title.  I also saw a request on here to be able to change attributes during a save as which should help with the case that you describe.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Visitor

We have a scenario with Different child types having different length Constraints for Number Attribute. When performing Save As, the current behavior bypasses the length Constraints and causes failure at downstream systems.

Issue also encountered in PDM with our interfaced ERP. Constraint on the name length is 40 characters but after Save As the user can bypass this constraint and the interface is failling.