Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Label Improvements

Security Label Improvements

Security labels have several shortcomings how they have been implemented in Windchill

1. They are not searchable.  This presents a problem when all items of a certain label need to be reviewed. 
    • The workaround to this is to create matching attributes, customize js files to tie the attribute to the SL and vice versa - 
  2. Security labels are sometimes dependent on each other.  Take CUI as an example.  something that has an ITAR or EAR security label MUST also have a CUI//SP-EXPT label.  If someone just assigns ITAR, it should be able to automatically select other "dependent" labels
  3. Security labels should be able to take advantage of Cascading attribute features - however because the labels are stored in an individual column in the database, this is probably why they are not.  Fixing problem 1 may help fix problem 3

6 Comments
jbailey
14-Alexandrite

Additional limitation - When security Labels are pushed to the CAD tool - the labels display the internal name, and when they are shown in Windchill table columns - they are shown with the display name.

rhart
11-Garnet

Great idea, another shortcoming is that it’s impossible to make a security label setting required or mandatory, like you can with IBAs

SteveShaw
14-Alexandrite
Status changed to: Alternate Solution

To search on security label values there is another alternative that I have outlined in the following duplicate idea:

Search on Security Labels - PTC Community

jbailey
14-Alexandrite

@SteveShaw - Yeah, We did that as well.  I think it is an "OK" alternative, however it is not ideal.  One of the main problems is you basically have to search for each label value individually, and it only works on one object type at a time.

My main complaint here is an attribute is an attribute and should be searchable, and against multiple object types with the same attribute. 

SteveShaw
14-Alexandrite

@jbailey  I don't disagree.  I just wanted to post an alternative.  Although security labels are a special type of attribute under the covers, that is not how they are perceived by an end user and certainly should be searchable in a similar manner.  This requirement is understood and is in our backlog for future consideration.

jbailey
14-Alexandrite

@SteveShaw  - Yeah, In that single column.  What is interesting, when you add the label value (CUI) for example to the AvailableSiteAttributes, it shows up as a searchable attribute - it just returns an error on search

We have other issues too, that there seems to be no logical order in which data is put into that column for multi-value security labels. (sometimes they show up alphabetical, sometimes not depending on how many are selected).  This causes other issues (how data is displayed in Creo, and how we can leverage that to create "Markings" based on labels)