Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timesheet for ProjectLink

Timesheet for ProjectLink

It is quite surprising that this feature is still missed in ProjectLink. Microsoft, Enovia, Primavera, HP HPPM... have all Timesheet capabilities.

When ProjectLink tasks have assigned resources and project is open, people need capability to add daily effort in their tasks and daily summary to check all work has been reported.

Timesheet capabilities are essential for Finance Departments to calculate project costs.This enforces best practice that users track their work in ProjectLink and report work already done and better resource planning

Finally it is a good idea that user can also close tasks from timesheet reporting screen.

In order to efficiently work with this feature non-manual planning in ProjecLink should be also improved, because now ProjectLink show tasks for users even precedent tasks are not still finished. If this is not also improved in ProjectLinks users might see tasks which are not ready to work.

4 Comments

This is a great idea.

Several years ago I made a long list of recommendations to PTC.  I loved the idea of having a Project Management System integrated with PDM but then it was hard to sell to the business due to lack of some basic functionalities.  Risk management, cost tracker, 

They should hire a PRINCE2 and PMP practitioner as product manager to make PJL the best PMS system in the world 🙂

Aquamarine

I agree 100%. Customers all purchased ProjectLink with the idea of using it as a PMS, but it's significantly deficient compared to the many other solutions on the market now. Ease of use is king these days and users do not have the patience or willingness to fight through all the quirks to get ProjectLink's PMS to do what they want.

Thinking about it.  Each activity in PJL captures the effort. So technically, this is enough from my point of view.

The timesheet is nothing else to show how much time has been spent on a given activity. The only advantage I see of timesheet is that the user has all his/her activities listed there but this can be done by using appropriate views.

In Enovia, the timesheets can be approved before being populated into the project. This is good and ensure the project plan is progressed properly. However, this could be done directly from the Efforts in the activity page.

Now comparing Enovia and Windchill for the project management capabilities. I would say Enovia has more functionalities than PJL but the user interface is very old fashion and cumbersome.  There are far too many clicks and back and forth.

If PTC could aligned PJL to PRINCE2 methodology, this would make a killer of a PMS.  I hate online project management solution of MS project because you do not have connection to all the collaborative elements and with the deliverables.  

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged