cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Use an Existing Document as the Primary Content for a new Document Template

Use an Existing Document as the Primary Content for a new Document Template

As a Windchill admin or container manager, I would like to be able to select an existing Windchill Document as the source for a new Document Template. I would also like to have an action associated with Windchill Documents that allows me to create a new Document Template from the selected Windchill Document without navigating to the Templates node of the container and uses the Primary Content of the selected Windchill Document as the Primary Content for the Document Template.

In the current version of Windchill, the Primary Content for a Document Template can only be in the form a local file, a URL link or an external storage location. To support this request, a document picker should be available and the ability to paste a document from the clipboard allowing me access to documents that already exist in Windchill. The document picker and paste action should support documents from any container I have access to, not just the documents in the current container.

document_template.png

In the current version of Windchill, there is no available action on an existing Windchill Document to create a new Document Template using the selected document. To support this request a new menu action should added to Windchill and a new RMB action to create a new Document Template in the current container.

The work-around to all of this is downloading the primary content of the desired Windchill Document and then uploading it as the primary content of the new Document Template. While feasible, this does involve many steps and navigation between container folders and the Templates UI to accomplish it. This enhancement would greatly simplify the process and allow administrators and container managers to quickly and easily create new Document Templates.

1 Comment
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.