cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When editing a WTDocument, primary file upload option must be configurable.

When editing a WTDocument, primary file upload option must be configurable.

When editing a WTDocument using "check out and edit" action, the UI wizard force user to upload a local file.

21-07-2016 10-47-30.png

It will be useful to be able to control this behavior using a preference to override this default behavior. For some use case, there is no need to upload file systematically and therefore the "no content" option is more suitable.

21-07-2016 10-45-00.png

3 Comments
sm

Great suggestion. I have got stuck on this one a few times myself. In most cases, Check Out and Edit is just a means to update metadata. I almost never use it to upload a new file, so having a preference to control whether or not to upload a file would be very beneficial.

It's about editing the WTDocument, or editing the primary content of that database record.  Most users don't understand the difference between the two concepts, I think we can only improve the user experience if Windchill is made smart and fast enough to decide what the user is up to.  Quiet a challenge.

Garnet

Mathieu‌,

I voted up for this idea because we have the same need.  However, in the meantime there is some unsupported customization that be done with <Windchill_Home>\codebase\netmarkets\jsp\document\create.jsp.  Within create.jsp, I said: if (document type = xyz) {"no content"}.  It works well so far.  Remember, I said this was unsupported.  That is why I voted up for this idea.  I wish for this type of thing to be configurable OOTB.  It also seems like something that is simple to implement.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS42570