Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Used Report - is it the latest?

Where Used Report - is it the latest?

Wouldn't it be nice to know (or filter out) objects where the component is no longer used in a Where Used Report or in the information page for CAD Documents?  It would be nice to at least have a column to identify if it's the latest or what the latest version is.

48 Comments
Turquoise

I went to the world conference in 2012.  I asked one of the PTC guys there and they said they were planning to do something about that.  I have been asking for this since we went to PDMLink in June 2008.  So much for that.

I have very little faith PTC will add this.  It is a feature that I can't believe PTC didn't think to add to Windchill.  Not everyone uses WTParts.

hello steve, I am testing 10.2 M020 CPS06 and the WTpart where used works okay, picking only the latest. while the CADdocument still shows the most recent version of where used not the 'latest'. this is fine to a point if you objects are correclty associated CAddocument to WTpart.  this will then allow both options to be used buy users.  The WTpart BOM is the coverning product BOM as the WTpart is the central object in windchill.  I can see the issue if a company is not using WTparts structure as intended.

Turquoise

It doesn't look like we will use WTParts.  At least not anytime soon.

Past the 3 year mark and still Under Consideration.  And it's just this one post.  Just like myself I am sure many, many people have been asking for this functionality for several years before that.

Bedrock

Hi STEVEG

I fully agree with you. Not only this causes headache to many users but surely PTC have had plenty time to implement and communicate.

Anyone from PTC to comment ?

sm  what do you think ?

Best regards

You know how I love a good Windchill Community discussion, but this one is out of my range. You'll really want someone with Part and BOM management expertise to cover this one.

Bedrock

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to reply     Can you ping of your colleague from Part/BOM Management to join the discussion ?

I am afraid, I do not know anyone myself.

Thanks

Best regards

Turquoise

WOW!  Next month is four years.  Any chance this is implemented in 11?

Turquoise

I "Liked" Steve Shaw's comment way back when but I took it back since it's nearly 2 1/2 years later and still not an option.

Turquoise

I would be curious if ANYONE likes the where used as it is.  I can see a value in it if researching the history of a model.  But how often does that happen and to how many companies.  If someone says they like it and use it a lot then I'd be surprised if it happens at a lot of companies.

I'm not trying to say it's not useful and there is nobody that uses it.  But why on earth would this not be an option?  And why it it taking so long just for consideration.

Moonstone

Steve Shaw‌, could you please comment on the status of consideration or if there is a better person to comment to direct them here?  The need continues to come up for non-WTparts, and I had it again this week.

Brainstorming some ways this can be done:

• Add LATEST VERSION column that could be either yes/no or give what the latest version is (with a hyperlink to it?  see next suggestion).
  • Add a column to jump to the latest version (since this is already on the info page for each object).  See comment below

If I click on the information page for each object shown in the where used, it will take me to the info page and at the top give me the hyperlink to go to the latest.  What about just putting that link in a column in the where used report? It is hard to imagine that that would be too involved to do considering it is already stored with that object?

Just showing this link in a column would be extraordinarily helpful.

Bedrock

It is disappointing that no one from PTC who work in this area joined the conversation.

Garnet

give it an IoT spin and they will work on it.

Bedrock

How do you do that ?

Well the status says Under Investigation but we do not know since when and how long it would take...

I can't wait to have this functionality improves. It has created so many conflicts in previous teams.....

Alexandrite

This continues to be an item under consideration by PTC.  Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a specific release that is being targeted.  At the time I have new information I will certainly provide an update to this post.

Thank you.

Where used for WTpart this is fundamental for Bill of material control, and has actually caused so many issues here. To me this seems to be a major oversight that the actual option is not standard, where used as it currently stand is of little use to man or beast. I have been trying to write a report to handle this with not much success, so much so that we now have reverted to SAP to generate a concise where used lists and feed this information back into the engineering change process within Windchill a manual process but still preferable to trying to used where used as it currently stands.

Under consideration. sorry I don't believe this!

Moonstone

Past 4 year mark and still under construction.  Can you imagine if this was a building?

Moonstone

For perspective, from breaking ground to opening to the public it was 4 years of construction on the Sears Tower!

Peridot

Gary - this thread is for CAD Docs - this is already supported for Parts.

Alexandrite

We are currently working on an implementation to address this Idea with the hope to have something in the 11.0 M030 release later this year.

Bedrock

Hi Steve,

excellent news.As one says better late than never

Looking forward to see how it works.

Thanks

best regards

Turquoise

I hope PTC's solution to the problem and the user's proposed solution to the problem are similar.

Bedrock

Good one Steve

Community Manager
Status changed to: Current Functionality