1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. We manufacture consumer electronics. I'm a Windchill admin.
2. What version of Windchill are you currently running? 18.104.22.168
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
The License Management Report feature has some usability issues that are really annoying. Fixing these would make the tool more user-friendly and improve the experience of managing licenses in Windchill.
4. What is the use case for your organization? Windchill admins regularly must monitor license usage.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? Easier understanding of license reports, saved time in using them, and less learning curve to get familiar with them.
1. The report tool throws an error if you select the same day from "From" and "To". This is inconsistent with other reports in Windchill. Other reporting takes the "From" date to be the beginning of the selected day, and the "To" date to be the end of the selected day. Thus, selecting the same day is a valid choice.
2. The reporting tool's input dates and reported dates are not consistent. There is a 1-day shift. This is confusing. See input vs output below:
3. There is no indication after clicking "Generate" that the report is running, and the report can take several minutes to execute. My first time running this report, I clicked Generate several times resulting in multiple simultaneous report executions. Running heavy reports like that can cause system performance issues. After clicking Generate, there should be some indication that the report is running, and the Generate button should be disabled so the user does not execute the report multiple times.
4. Lastly - The reports do not address a key issue that is the time zone used to record ADU usage. ADU usage is calculated on a specific time zone, which probably does not coincide with the system's time zone. The reporting only gives usage per calendar date, so it's unclear if this time zone issue is accounted for in the reporting, or if it missed.