cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Workspace creation date on My Workspaces table

Workspace creation date on My Workspaces table

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Metal-mechanical product designs. Design engineer.

2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

When having multiple workspaces and having to switch constantly between them you can forget where you left new parts unckecked, or modified parts that needed to be checked in.
The solution to this is to look inside each of the workspaces to find your parts and it takes too much time.

My proposal is to add a creation date column on "My Workspaces" table, so you can filter and sort your workspaces by date. By sorting, you can have your latest workspaces on the top. And at the bottom, you can see that you have old, outdated, unorganized worspaces that need to be deleted.

4. What is the use case for your organization?

When working on daily changes on different products, can produce un-organized workpaces trying to keep up with speed. A quick way to find your latest "non-active" workspace would be to sort by date.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
It will reduce time that adds no value for the product design

4 Comments
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Just create your own workspaces with a date and maybe project description.

I always recommend that my designers create their workspaces with their initials, too.

Makes it easy to know who may have a file checked out or modified that someone else may need.

Since this idea will NOT generate new sales of Windchill, I wouldn't expect it to be implemented, unless PTC is doing a massive overhaul of the wokspace view  design and it can be done without impacting other ideas they are incorporating.

You can write a report that will gather all files in workspaces and the date they were added to a workspace and the date the workspace was created. The information for your idea is already available in the database.

I did not write this report, but got it from another user in the community.

WS created by Workspace Name WS Name Workspace Context Name File Name State Number Version Status Folder Path Last Checked In By WS Created WS Last Modified
wcadmin wca-haleu wca-haleu HALEU hingeassy.asm Design HINGEASSY.ASM A.1 Checked in /Administrator/wca-haleu/hingeassy.asm wcadmin 2023-01-04 12:17 EST 2023-01-04 12:17 EST
achirila
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @EV_7511505!

Thank you for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Following up on what Ben wrote above, below you can find links to some reports on workspaces management that might come in handy.

How to get the new object list that are uploaded but not checked-in from Workspace

Report to fetch checked out objects in user's workspace

How to determine the workspace where a CAD Document is checked out

EV_7511505
3-Visitor

Thank you Ben, I guess as management its easy to figure out when a workspace was created, but for a daily user it would be handy to have it there in plain sight.  As you said, that is already an attribute on the system, I don't see why it cannot be displayed.

"My workspaces" table view might be the less "customizable" view in windchill. There are practically no filters other than name and description or have the active workspace on top. 

As a daily Creo-Windchill user for 7 years I would love to manage my projects (workspaces) in a more efficient way, without having to create excel project managment tools. It would be amazing to have date, tags, project compleition % .... etc.  My idea comes from me wanting to improve the product I use every day. I know all the work arounds, its just not efficient.