cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

replication rules by file size

0 Kudos

replication rules by file size

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
We manufacture products for the aerospace and defense industry.  I am the Windchill Administrator.  The stakeholder is our infrastructure team that fights me over every megabyte of storage that Windchill uses.

2. What version of Windchill are you currently running?
Currently on 11.1. Upgrading to 12.0.2.

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
I don't want to replicate all the small files.  I only want to replicate the large files. Replication is about balance between network bandwidth and storing the same file in many locations.  Replicating millions of small files doesn't make sense for us. 

4. What is the use case for your organization?
I want to use replication rules to filter out small files or only select large files.  

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Caching small files on site doesn't offer much performance gain.  We replicate millions of tiny files to the site wasting disk space.  This would give us another option for controlling what gets copied to the local replica vaults.

4 Comments
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

Have you taken a look at the wt.fv.replicationFileSizeThreshold property?

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs26742

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

Use of the wt.fv.replicationFileSizeThreshold property would be a global setting vs setting a file size in a Replication Rule.

mwaite
9-Granite

@RandyJones: Thats a great tip.  Thaink you.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Alternate Solution

Hello. 

Thanks @mwaite for the idea and @RandyJones for pointing to this resource.