cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Update Database Schema During Upgrade to Windchill11

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

Update Database Schema During Upgrade to Windchill11

I'm working on my first test upgrade from Windchill 10.2 to 11.0.  We use SQL Server as our database.  I'm on the Update Database Schema phase and task.  I have a question about that how much drive space do I need for the SQL tempdb.  Do I need to have as much room as the size of the database?  I have the drive at about half the size and it filled up that drive to 99.9% and after that happened the CPU spiked and so did the RAM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BrianToussaint)

@BrianToussaint, I had to increase the disk size for my tempdb as well.  At the moment my DB is ~ 50 GB and I have 4 tempdb files (one per core) each 32 GB in size.  The disk itself is currently 150 GB in size and that was large enough for the upgrade to finish.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

By default the tempdb has a property for automatic increase size, I did not notice a large increase its size.

How large is your database?  Mine is close to 40 Gb.  I know that it increases automatically, but I ran out of disk space where the file is located.

7-25-2017 10-28-32 AM.jpg

In any case you must do a test upgrade and will see the change in its size.
My clients have big databases more 100GB.

SQL Server's tempdb file is grown to a very large size in Windchill PDMLink 10.2

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@BrianToussaint, I had to increase the disk size for my tempdb as well.  At the moment my DB is ~ 50 GB and I have 4 tempdb files (one per core) each 32 GB in size.  The disk itself is currently 150 GB in size and that was large enough for the upgrade to finish.

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite
(To:TomU)

@TomU, Thanks for the information.  I was afraid of that.  I see that it is still running but I think it is hitting ram and swap hard.  I'm going to let it go over night and see how far that it gets.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It's probably dead already.  I can't remember if its was the upgrade manager logs or the SQL server logs, but one of them outright said the process has failed due to lack of free space.

Here is a script to check free space in tempdb:

use tempdb
-- Show Size, Space Used, Unused Space, and Name of all database files
select
        [FileSizeMB] =
                convert(numeric(10,2),round(a.size/128.,2)),
        [UsedSpaceMB] =
                convert(numeric(10,2),round(fileproperty( a.name,'SpaceUsed')/128.,2)) ,
        [UnusedSpaceMB] =
                convert(numeric(10,2),round((a.size-fileproperty( a.name,'SpaceUsed'))/128.,2)) ,
        [DBFileName] = a.name
from
    sysfiles a
order by a.name

Running it right now (in production) almost nothing is being used.  During the upgrade it almost filled up all four of the files.

tempdb.PNG

Top Tags