cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

how many max docs recommended in Windchill folder?

bradlawrence
9-Granite

how many max docs recommended in Windchill folder?

A general question, how many max docs recommended in single Windchill folder?    Just wondering if PTC had a recommended amount to stay under to prevent waiting for all the docs to load up in that folder.

5 REPLIES 5

In the Windchill views, you can adjust the number of shown documents on each page. I have mine set to display 4000 items. I do have a few folders that have over 8K items, so I have to page through. Typically you will be doing searches, so the display list will be more refined than just looking in a folder. I do understand that as a system admin you do need to look in folders at times.

From a system OS level, I have my disk folders set to roll over to a new folder when they reach 50K files.

Windchill 11.0 m030

Windows Server 2008r2

Oracle DB

I have been using 10k objects per folder for the last 10 years with no issues.

Windchill 10.2 M030

Windows Enterprise Server 2008 R2

Oracle DB

When we were going to Windchill from Intralink at the end of 2011, I was given the rule by my VAR to stay under 5,000 objects in any directory.  I do not know if that still applies or not, but it makes some sense from a performance standpoint where the more you have, the worse the performance during browse.

We also capped off our file vaults at 50,000 files, but for some strange reason it likes to double that amount and I usually see 90-100k files there.

The roll over rules set for file vaults states that +/- 10% of your set limit maybe when the next vault is activated and the current vault is set to read-only. With the 50K limit, I have never seen my vaults get over 53K before they roll over.

What OS are your vaults on? I wonder if that may have something to do with it.

First I started with Server 2008 back in 2011 and am now on Server 2012R2 Standard.

3-22-2018 7-51-40 AM.jpg

Top Tags