cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

A basic question about revision numbers

amatei
12-Amethyst

A basic question about revision numbers

Hello,

Revision number  = a unique number used to identify a revision in an archive.

Revisions on the trunk are numbered as two-part decimals  (that is, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, …).

Can someone explain the reasons behind the idea why the first revision number  is 1.1 and not 1.0 ?

See also the screen capture for an example of project history and member history

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:amatei)

This is my quick take on it, so I may not be right.

I think this comes from the history of older systems like CVS, and it's a decision then-MKS made a long time ago. Have a look at this: Revision numbers.

In the revision number 1.1, you have to think of the second number as the real version number (if you never branch and never change the base number, the first part is always "1." and therefore kind of meaningless).

I know it's arguable, but I make a distinction between version and revision. In other words, the very first instance of the file is version 1, and its first revision (in the literal sense) results in version 2.

Incidentally, I manage a system that was converted from PVCS and I have files like this:

But moving forward, we stick with the default 1.1 as the starting point.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:amatei)

This is my quick take on it, so I may not be right.

I think this comes from the history of older systems like CVS, and it's a decision then-MKS made a long time ago. Have a look at this: Revision numbers.

In the revision number 1.1, you have to think of the second number as the real version number (if you never branch and never change the base number, the first part is always "1." and therefore kind of meaningless).

I know it's arguable, but I make a distinction between version and revision. In other words, the very first instance of the file is version 1, and its first revision (in the literal sense) results in version 2.

Incidentally, I manage a system that was converted from PVCS and I have files like this:

But moving forward, we stick with the default 1.1 as the starting point.

amatei
12-Amethyst
(To:LLawton)

Thanks !

Top Tags