cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Category Field

nborrerojr.
7-Bedrock

Category Field

Is the Category field somehow constrained to only be available to Segments and Nodes? I have a new type I've created that can be associated with test results and I want to add a category pick field to it. Do I need to make a new field for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmerkle
5-Regular Member
(To:nborrerojr.)

The Fields Category / Shared Category work only for types that have also a shared type assosicated to it.

If a type has an associated shared type it belongs to the document model.

The solution that you have described should work fine: create a new pick list field (without a shared field)

and add it to your type. The pick list values can be defined on the new pick list field directly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pmerkle
5-Regular Member

The Category field has an assoicated "Shared Category" field that holds the values of the pick list.

Within each Content Type this pick list is costrained to certain values (e.g. see type "Requirements").

In your case you need also a shared item for your new type and add the field "Shared Category" to it.

And then you add the Category field to your new type.

Just take a look at one of the existing Content Types (Requirement, Input,...) as an example.

Regards,

Peter

I don't think I was clear with my initial question. I would like to add the Shared Category field to an item that is not part of the document model. When I try to add it to my type, it doesn't even show up as an option to add as a visible field. Also, if you were to try to make it a visible field on an ALM_Defect, it will not show up there either. That's why I'm asking if it is only available to Segments and Nodes. I probably shouldn't have used the word "constrained" in my initial question.

In another instance I just made another pick list to add something similar to Category. If the Shared Category field is not available to types that are not part of the document model then I'm thinking I can just make another category field for everything else and constrain the list based on item types.

pmerkle
5-Regular Member

The Fields Category / Shared Category work only for types that have also a shared type assosicated to it.

If a type has an associated shared type it belongs to the document model.

The solution that you have described should work fine: create a new pick list field (without a shared field)

and add it to your type. The pick list values can be defined on the new pick list field directly.

Copy that. I'll just make another field then. Thank you.

Top Tags