cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Deleted requirements report

SM_10187717
6-Contributor

Deleted requirements report

Hi everybody!

I am looking for an advice or your experience. How do you support the procedure of requirements deletion?

I mean that I need to store a record of rationale for deletion of each requirement (Change Request ID or other information in text format) and when the spec is being exported to Word the list of deleted requirements in current revision should be generated.

3 REPLIES 3
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:SM_10187717)

Deleting requirements is not a big problem here, but still, we have had bad experiences with it.

My solution is this: 1) forbid deletion using a trigger that detects the event and blocks it.. 2) Instead, move the "deleted" requirements to a special document that contains such items. This way all history is kept and undo is possible.

SM_10187717
6-Contributor
(To:LLawton)

@LLawton,

Well that's not about a problem of deleted requirements as they are "preserved" in history of the item. So we can use "Historical -> View as of..." command to roll back to any previous iteration to recover them manually (copy-paste).

My issue is about providing an evidence of deleted requirements while exporting specification to a kind of paper document that's why I mentioned Word.

Currently I created the new "IsReqDeleted" attribute of type logic for every requirement. So when an author needs to delete requirement she doesn't actually delete it but switches "IsReqDeleted" to true. After that I can use the value of this attribute in export template to put down "[DELETED]" text instead of requirement in exported Word document. But in RV&S these requirements are still present which can be confusing for users.

kjain2
14-Alexandrite
(To:SM_10187717)

Hi @SM_10187717 ,

Since your use case is you would like to get these requirements in your word export then my questions would be:-
What you would like to have in your word, Count of deleted, Only ID or ID and Text?

I could think of some options:-
Option 1 - Make a trigger which will execute whenever a content is deleted. On document level make a field e.g. "Deleted Content" of type longtext with rich text enabled. This trigger should update ID and Text of deleted content on this field "Deleted Content" in tabular format. Hint:- For Text i would suggest to go without richtext. or another is keeping let's say 100 characters because text can be long. Then you can read this field value in your word export.
Cons:- History will be large because of this field on document level.

Option 2 - Make a trigger which will execute whenever a content is deleted. Read document ID and set it on content which are getting deleted. E.g. If a content is deleted from Document ID 1234 then in a field let's say Parent Document ID 1234 will be set by trigger. Make a QBR field "All deleted content" on document level by using query and show deleted content where Parent Document ID is current document ID. Then in QBR field on document level you will see all removed content from an document. You can read this in export.
Cons:- QBR field leads to huge performance issue depends on total data available in server and configuration of DB.

Does this help? If yes please mark it as accepted solution so thread can be closed.

PS: Feel free to ask further question.

Vielen Dank / Many Thanks,
Kapil Jain

Top Tags