cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Distributing Client without Installation

kjain2
14-Alexandrite

Distributing Client without Installation

Hi Community,

Anyone tried distributing Integrity Client without installation, i mean just copying over pre installed Integrity Client directory to end user machine and then adjusting environment variable and so and so?

I know this works and there is no issue but i have only used this way for own machine or only for trial purpose but not in any customer environment where 1000 users are affected.

1.) Anyone is having such experience? or using this procedure to distribute Client on customer environment for long time?

2.) Any issues you can think of? Could be anything may be any integration or anything?

3.) Any suggestion from anyone?

Vielen Dank / Many Thanks,

Kapil Jain 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:kjain2)

Hello Kapil,

Yes, I've done it successfully, no issues were reported.

In our case, users are not allowed to install anything and cannot write to the program directories. So I have a simple command file that copies the preconfigured client to a writable folder and also copies desktop shortcuts.

My suggestion is to also copy the client configuration data (IntegrityClient.rc file and .mks folder) to the user's windows profile folder (C:\Users\etc.) so they don't have to import any viewset and do some basic configuration (with a script, it's easy to write to each user's "USERPROFILE" location).

The rc file is useful because I preset the "Exit on close" option as well as the default server and "do not prompt" parameters.

The .mks folder only contains only the \viewset\admin, \temp and \user, no CM-related folders.

Let me know if you need more details.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:kjain2)

Hello Kapil,

Yes, I've done it successfully, no issues were reported.

In our case, users are not allowed to install anything and cannot write to the program directories. So I have a simple command file that copies the preconfigured client to a writable folder and also copies desktop shortcuts.

My suggestion is to also copy the client configuration data (IntegrityClient.rc file and .mks folder) to the user's windows profile folder (C:\Users\etc.) so they don't have to import any viewset and do some basic configuration (with a script, it's easy to write to each user's "USERPROFILE" location).

The rc file is useful because I preset the "Exit on close" option as well as the default server and "do not prompt" parameters.

The .mks folder only contains only the \viewset\admin, \temp and \user, no CM-related folders.

Let me know if you need more details.

kjain2
14-Alexandrite
(To:LLawton)

Hi Lance ( @LLawton ),

Thanks for your response and hope you are safe and doing well!!!

Yes sure sure, for all client related configuration data i already have program that does this job for me and very stable. At the end user is not doing anything from there side.

I was only unsure about if we don't install of course we won't be having any entry in registry or any specific setting what might be installer is doing and any integration E.g. MATLAB shouldn't create an issue. Another we can't use uninstall.exe as well i guess. (But deletion is easy just removing of that folder). 

But now i have confidence because you have used this way and still using it.

I am looking forward to use this.

Thanks a lot for your response.

Vielen Dank / Many Thanks,

Kapil Jain

Top Tags