Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Not execute blank Queries

Do Not execute blank Queries

If a query has no values in the Query Definition, return an error immediately to the end user instead of waiting for the timeout to complete.

3 Comments
Granite

Hi Paul,

In order to simulate your use case, I have created a blank query "BlankQuery" without providing query definition. When I run this query, it - essentially - returns all the objects those are available on server. Here's a snapshot of the same :

Could you please confirm if this is what you meant when you spoke about Blank Query ?

Thanks & regards,

Siddharth Somani

Amethyst

Siddharth,

Yes, this is what I meant.  The reason for the request is that in a large environment the query will use a lot of memory and the result to the end user will not be helpful.

Thank you,

Paul Hartwig

Granite

Hi Paul,

Thanks for quick response. Now, I have couple of more questions -

1. Is the blank queries being created intentionally, for users to know count of objects present on server ?

2. If these blank queries were created by mistake - were those just lying around in system & it gets run periodically (say, monthly or weekly) that causes performance degradation for you ?

Probable solution for blank queries : We can try to introduce a warning message,specifically for blank queries, that would alert user while he/she is trying to run this query about it being blank and running it might cause system to slow down which would hamper everyone's work.