cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Functionality related to long text Field

0 Kudos

Functionality related to long text Field

If the long text field is mandatory and we put space in that field, so this space is considered as value for the field and it gets saved.

The long text field in view mode looks like it's blank and that mandatory field is getting saved without value.

Expectation: Whenever we save an item, Remove the trailing spaces that way all spaces get removed & we get an error message for mandatory fields.

3 Comments
ssaul
15-Moonstone

I don't think this would help.

Putting only a space into a mandatory field seems to be intentional - avoid having to write something meaningful, but also get the item saved.

Users would type other short chars or words to circumvent mandatory fields.

kjain2
14-Alexandrite

Hi @cummins2019 ,

I totally understand your concern but we shouldn't remove trailing spaces every time because sometimes those are intentional and purposefully. And also this leads to we can never have spaces before and after value.

Instead for your use case i would say you can write an trigger which can check for you during save what value is provided by user in a long text field. I know there is lot of long text field and of course you don't want to write trigger only for this purpose but i would never say this can be a generic use case for everyone.  

Vielen Dank / Many Thanks,

Kapil Jain

KartikOak
15-Moonstone
Status changed to: Alternate Solution

The Refreshed Web UI does not accept spaces as a value in mandatory fields. 

Thanks

Kartik