cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How can I rename a member shared between two projects without creating too many revisions?

LLawton
14-Alexandrite

How can I rename a member shared between two projects without creating too many revisions?

Sample scenario:

- Project A contains member X at revision 1.1.

- Project B contains member X shared from archive. At present it's at Rev 1.1.

In Project A, I rename X to Y,  this creates Rev 1.2.

In Project B, the history of X shows rev 1.2 and that it's the result of renaming but nothing has changed yet.

Now in B, I perform "update member revision" on X. This results in 1.2 being the new revision, but the name doesn't change: Project A contains Y at Rev 1.2 and B contains X at Rev 1.2.

But really, by updating member revision in B I wanted to accept the result of creating Rev 1.2 which was the new name Y.

Now, if I want the new name in project B, I have to rename the member and I get Y at Rev 1.3 in B.

Project A still shows Y at Rev 1.2, so I have to update member revision there.

In the end, I have two revisions for one shared member just because I want to keep them in sync.

Is there a better way to rename a shared member that avoids creating too many revisions?

I've tried to see if using a member rule could help, but so far no luck.

In my real-life use case, the archive is shared between at least three projects, so I'm concerned that I'm going to end up with 5-6 revisions for each rename.

(We use Integrity 11.2)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ssaul
15-Moonstone
(To:LLawton)

One solution without creating a new revision would be to drop the member and import it again (add from archive).

During import, you can change the "Member Name" by just editing it in the first view of the "Add Members from Archive Wizard".

In your case, you would have to do this for both projects.

Here, this works at least for 10.5.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ssaul
15-Moonstone
(To:LLawton)

One solution without creating a new revision would be to drop the member and import it again (add from archive).

During import, you can change the "Member Name" by just editing it in the first view of the "Add Members from Archive Wizard".

In your case, you would have to do this for both projects.

Here, this works at least for 10.5.

ssaul
15-Moonstone
(To:ssaul)

Just tested, it also works for 13.0.

LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:ssaul)

I'll try this solution, it seems to be the best (and only!) one.

Thanks.

Top Tags