cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Importing PDF Documents

ptc-5014468
1-Newbie

Importing PDF Documents

Hi All,

I have a requirement where I need to import PDF documents into Integrity. Through Gateway configurations & mapper files I can Import word documents i.e docx files but when I am importing PDF files, there are no import configurations available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Nishant Kapoor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5014468)

As far as I know there is nothing out of the box,

but you can write your own parser if you want to.

All you need is some kind of custom tool that "transforms" the PDF content into a valid IIF file (following the MKSItems XML schema).

It it is more or less well documented in the Gateway Manual and the Integrations Builder Manual.

I did it for MS-Excel files using a custom Java app and the Apache POI lib.

I'm sure something comparable is possible for PDF.

Please report your progress here

HTH Matthias

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mrump
14-Alexandrite

As far as I know there is nothing out of the box,

but you can write your own parser if you want to.

All you need is some kind of custom tool that "transforms" the PDF content into a valid IIF file (following the MKSItems XML schema).

It it is more or less well documented in the Gateway Manual and the Integrations Builder Manual.

I did it for MS-Excel files using a custom Java app and the Apache POI lib.

I'm sure something comparable is possible for PDF.

Please report your progress here

HTH Matthias

Thanks Mathias for the quick response. I'll surely try that. In the mean time, do you have any idea abour "RIF" utility? I believe it does the same work, transforms the content of document (from source software) to RIF format, which can be imported into Integrity.

Please share your comments on this.

Nishant Kapoor

mrump
14-Alexandrite

RIF is a "standard" format of XML files for requirement exchange.

I used quotes because so far I did not find a leats s two RM tools that would support identical versions of the RIF standard so that we actually could use it for exchanging data e.g. between DOORs and PTC Integrity.

The "RIF Utility" adds some fields and triggers to your integrity setup that are required for supporting the standard.

At least in I10.x it is basically a configuration/"use case" for the gateway tool ; like

PTC Export :

Integrity >> IIF Format >> Gateway >> RIF Format

PTC Import :

Any Data format >> Any Tool >> RIF Format >> Gateway >> IIF Format >> Integrity

In the end it's all about XML field mappings and value conversion.

Given Your PDF - file usecase, the RIF format would only help if you allready had a Tool that could convert PDF to a valid RIF Formated XML file in a RIF version that is supported by the PTC Gateway.

HTH

Matthias

Top Tags