cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Is there a way to view test results as rich content from the CLI?

mbeck
3-Visitor

Is there a way to view test results as rich content from the CLI?

Hi,

I have been using the CLI to gather test information to output to a report template internal to my company.  The information stored in some of the Test Cases is in a rich content format, so I have been using the 'im viewissue' with the arguments --showRichContent, --showXHTML, and --xmlapi to show this information.

Now I am trying to retrieve test result information as rich content, primarily the Annotation field of the Test Result.  I have been using 'tm viewresult' but there are no arguments similar to the 'im' command above.

Is there a way to show rich content for test results using the CLI?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:mbeck)

Hi Martin,

Do you have an example of this "rich content" data?  The Integrity Test Results fields, including the "Annotation" field, were not designed for rich content (They were originally designed for capturing simple, "high-volume/performance data", so I'm curious what it is, you're trying to display like that, from that field?  That explains why the "tm viewresult" command, doesn't have the rich options you're looking for either.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your answer on the Test Result's Annotation field.

I have a couple of co-workers in Germany that use this field for storing additional test information.  Sometimes they copy and paste information from outside documents that contain Western European characters that do not translate through the CLI.   Something as simple as the the quotation character, ", does not seem to to translate/encode well through German text.  The character I keep getting returned is ?.  Another one I am seeing is the auto-correction characters in Microsoft Word for -- , which returns a long dash.  The long dash character keeps showing up as ? in the CLI.

One thing to note, I am using C# as my development language and I am using the C# System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo class to run my commands via the Windows console.  There is the StandardOutputEncoding property I sue to set the encoding of the characters.  I have tried multiple encodings and the one that seems to work the best is the one for Western European from the C# Encoding class (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.txt.encoding(v=vs.110).aspx).  I use 850 as the code from that table as it seems to translate the characters.   I noticed there is some information on the C# Encoding webpage that says the encoding classes allow errors to change the character.  Maybe this has something to do why I am seeing '?' as the character returned instead of the German characters I am expecting.  

Anyway, thanks again for the info on this.  I'll have to let my co-workers know that this field may have issues with certain characters.

Regards.

Top Tags