cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

MKS Integrity - virtual machine

mattia
1-Newbie

MKS Integrity - virtual machine

Hello,

I am working on a project to automate our regression tests and publish the results under MKS by the use of ATEF from MKS.

I believe that the solution is feasable and i would like to avoid the use of another tool for else.

First i need to install the ALM and then i need to make some trials in order to activate the adapters and trigers from MKS server with my third party tool.

To achieve that, i guess i need to have an admin role on the production server, whereas it is not possible within our organisation (so i need a separate environment to realize my Prototype!)

So my Question:

It is possible to get an instance of an MKS server as Virtual Machine (VMware for example) in order to create the prototype of this project and then migrate the results from the VM to the production version?

Or exists another way to get a separate environment ?

Thank you very much in advance

Miled Attia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Miled,

There is no problem setting up Integrity test systems on a VM. I recommend VirtualBox for Windows hosts and VMWare for Linux hosts. For enterprise installations VMs are still an option, but we have more specific recommendations.

Please keep in mind that a test system will still require an Integrity license, but we may be able to set you up with a temporary one for this process. Your Product Manager or Technical Support can help you out with this.

Please also keep in mind that while some members, documents and triggers can be easily transferred to another server, database objects and member histories are not as easy to work with. If you could provide more information about what you would be exporting to your existing solution from the test server, I can give you a better answer about how this would work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Miled,

There is no problem setting up Integrity test systems on a VM. I recommend VirtualBox for Windows hosts and VMWare for Linux hosts. For enterprise installations VMs are still an option, but we have more specific recommendations.

Please keep in mind that a test system will still require an Integrity license, but we may be able to set you up with a temporary one for this process. Your Product Manager or Technical Support can help you out with this.

Please also keep in mind that while some members, documents and triggers can be easily transferred to another server, database objects and member histories are not as easy to work with. If you could provide more information about what you would be exporting to your existing solution from the test server, I can give you a better answer about how this would work.

Thank you for your quick reply.

In fact i am not sure how long i need a temporary license

1/ need to install the MKS with ALM

2/ i should create the Test Environment: Test plan, testcases, test suites and test session for the entire application (to perform the manual testing)

3/ I have to use the third party tool in my organization (i am writing it) that performs the automated testing (in different Os) and i need to use the ATEF tool to publish automatically the results (writing the dedicated scripts and triggers)

Really i do not know exactly the estimated time to get my first proto working fine, as i did not find any shared experience or walkthrough to use ATEF (i have only the document from PTC, it is good but i have not the admin right on the MKS server right now).

Actually i think the solution to separate the two environments seems to be better than disturbing the actual env (but i have some questions in the comming days about that too 😞

- so i need really your support to start a new VM with ALM install:

what shall i do? can i download a version from PTC site?

can i imagine having a temporary license for at least ~3 months? (cause i need to demonstrate the entire solution, and that costs for me at least this period )

The last question: to get a license : is it more/less expensive to start with VM or not?

In case we have 2 MKS servers licenses, can i imagine that to get a third one will be less expensive?

I am sorry, but you know, it is not so easy to approve getting more than two license inside the same company.

Thank you for your support

Miled

AlanLew
5-Regular Member
(To:mattia)

Miled,

I would recommend that you contact your PTC Sales Representative for further information on acquiring an additional Integrity Server license. To my knowledge there would be no difference in price for installing on a VM instead of a real machine.

You should be able to download the Installation files for the Integrity Server directly from the PTC.com website.

hbock
7-Bedrock
(To:mattia)

Hello Miled,

I found your post when I was looking for ATEF.

I have the task to integrate the PTC Integrity Test Objects with National Instruments NI TestStand. The recommended way of doing this seems to be the MKS/PTC ATEF Adapter. I have the documents around it, I understand the background to a certain extend (my Java knowledge is about 10 Years ago) but I am not sure if that is the right way of doing it.

My Questions:

Did you succeed with your test automation using the ATEF?

What was your experience?

Looking forward to your answer

Harald

Top Tags