cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

MS Word and Section Numbers

dakers
1-Newbie

MS Word and Section Numbers

Extended Integrity LM family. Those of you that import document from Microsoft Word to PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager please have a look at the following scenario which is detailed in the attached PowerPoint slides. It has to do with section numbering and how to manage the user driven approach that MS Word takes with the system approach that we've adopted within PTC Integrity LM.

Your experience and guidance in the "real world" would be appreciated.

d

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Doug,

we discussed this topic with my client a lot. For tables we just use the Word default, which is a unique gapless number for all tables within a document.

So, our tables will have a single number only, not prefixed with the section numbers. We were also able to generate a good looking table index out of it. Further more, as long as we stay in edit in word, we can easily reference such elements as well.

Back to your question. The table numbering, like you describe it in your PPT, is expected by one of our clients? Then, a table in your example has to have the numbering 3.1.1 when it is in section 3.1.? Is this what the client wants? 

I'd like to enhance the question: Is this what the industry standards such as DIN / ISO require?

Volker

From Doug:

I've cc'd Mark here as well. They get word documents from the manufacturer and communicate with that company throughout the project. They do not have the influence to have them change the document but need to reference specific content or tables/figures in their conversations. They do this using section numbering today but notice when they import documents the section numbers are not the same as they were in the original documents.

Mark, any further colour here?

From Mark:

I think you have said it right. The main point is to keep the content section number, including the images/table/etc. matching with the MS Word imported document. If there are configurations that can be done to achieve this, I would be very interested to know them, or anything else that can satisfy the use case.

Top Tags