cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Mapping template for Test Suite, Test Cases and Test Steps from Integrity to Excel

ptc-4671250
1-Newbie

Mapping template for Test Suite, Test Cases and Test Steps from Integrity to Excel

I am trying to create a mapping template that would extract from a Test Suite all its Test Cases and related Test Steps.

I have a template that I can run over the Test Suite to extract all the test cases and I have another template that can extract all Test Steps based on a query.

I would like to be to use the Excel integration to populate a spreadsheet with each test cases and its related test steps. Then be able to update them in Excel and upload them back into Integrity.

I can't seem to be able to combine the two templates so the Document ID is inputted in configuration template - Document Properties and the test cases are populated into a spreadsheet along with their related Test Steps.

I am currently using Integrity 9 SP7.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4671250)

Hello!

This sounds interesting, but I'm not sure off the top of my head that it is possible.

What is the goal you are striving to achieve, and why have you decided that using the Excel integration is the best way to get there?

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Hi,

I would like to be able to generate a template that the Test Analyst can populate in Excel and then load into MKS for execution. The problem I face is I can upload the Test Suite and Test Case but not the Test Steps in the same worksheet. Neither am I able to relate the Test Steps to the Test Case. The Excel template allows the Test Analyst to create a regression pack easier with Test Steps that could be uploaded on sign off.

The user experience regarding allocating Test Steps in Integrity is very labour intensice and unintuitive.

Looking at the ALM Template and the excel templates you can one or the other but not both in one worksheet.

I did speak to the Integrity Helpdesk and had the following response;

"Thank you for the update. I have checked on this and also consulted this with my seniors and this feature/ operation seems to be currently not doable. We already have a few change requests for the support of additional functionality for test management data model.

Change request# 142839 (Better support for Test Management model) and change request# 456039 (Ability to export Test Steps not just the ID of the Test Step).

I wish I could extend my level of support with respect to the customized template, however, support have limited scope and resources and hence unable to troubleshoot further on this issue. I believe PTC professional services team would be in a better position to address this issue.

Both the change requests are in Analyzed state. I have gone ahead and associated your contact information and this SR to the said Change Request so that if and when this functionality becomes available in a future release or service pack, you will be automatically notified via email. Also, I will notify you if for any reason this Change Request is rejected by Product Management.
"

Hope this helps.

I'm also don't believe the Test Step object has any functional use within the document model that Test Suite resides in, therefore no test steps are frozen on execution etc.

I'm pretty much at a loss with regard to Test Steps in Integrity 9sp7.

Thanks

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4671250)

Trying to export to Excel from the Integrity integration or gateway won't get that Test Step data, however you could export via a report, using a report recipe similar to the "Test Session Detail" report recipe found in the Integrity ALM solution (also called the "ALM IMT"). The sample report that uses this recipe is called "Test Session Detail with Test Steps", and exports a report to HTML. With some tweaking, it should be relatively straightforward to tweak this report to output as comma- or tab-separated values, or XML. It's not ideal, by any stretch, but it might lead to something workable that solves your problem.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Beside the fact that test steps might not be allowed to update (they are usually shared among multiple cases), I would be interested in how the Excel structure will look like. Has anyone an example of which fields for each of the 3 types shall be displayed then in Excel?

The background for my question is the following: I am looking for a good use case for my Webservice-Excel-Solution. It's a solution which uses just Excel and VB, and does not need any Integrity client installed. It might have the flexibility to download and upload what's requested here.

If you could send me an example of how the Excel shall look like, I could give a try.

Please send me a private message with further details and I will replay shortly.

I like to inform you herewith, that I have created an Excel Template to manage Test Results for Cases and Steps offline.

It's a first draft version, but offers already the main features needed.

I would be pleased to contact some interested key users / administrators to try the solution out, and discuss possible improvements.

Thank you

Volker

PS: Keep in mind that pictures, part of tet cases, are not transferred to the Excel Sheet, it's technical just not possible. But if the text itself is enought, then the solution is quite good to use.

Hi Volker,

any chance you could share mentioned Excel Template along needed steps in order to have it working?

The mail interest is the possibility to extract information from related items of the given item type.

Top Tags