cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

PTC Integrity client and Linux cron jobs

ptc-6729400
1-Newbie

PTC Integrity client and Linux cron jobs

Good Afternoon,

I am running a PTC integrity client on a linux box,

I am trying to set up an automated build/unit test system

I have the initial set of scripts running interactivly from the command line, and I can run them from cron as long as I am logged into the Integrity server from some process on the box.

I really do not want the script to be dependant upon me being logged in and connected (for instance I would like this script to work after a reboot, when i may not be able to immediately re log in.

I'm not sure if this is a quirk of our system, but the integrity Client does not use the authentication from the operating system (although it appears to use the enterprise authentication), so after starting the gui client one needs to provide username and password credentials. This is problematic from a command line job that runs periodically.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas for a secure manner to run the integrity command line client unattended (from a cron job) ?

Thanks, & have a great weekend !

Joe Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-6729400)

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the Integrity Community!

You are correct that the Linux Integrity client does not use the authentication from they system. If this is something your organization is interested in, you may want to attach yourself to Feature Request 102468 via CS84441: Support for non-Active Directory Kerberos implementations, which does mention the possibility of doing this with CA SiteMinder.

Note that client name and password are not required if they are stored in the client preferences:

1. Logged in as your build user, launch the client.
  2. From the File menu select Preferences...
  3. In the Preferences Configuration dialog expand the Configuration Management node.
  4. Under the Configuration Management node select the Connection sub-node
  5. In the right hand side of the Preferences Configuration dialog, uncheck the prompt checkboxes for User Name and Password
  6. Click OK at the bottom of the dialog
  7. Make sure your script explicitly sets the values for hostname and port
  8. Completely exit the client, then test your script by calling it from the command line

If it passes step 8, it should run from a cronjob launched under that Linux user profile as well.

The passwords are saved encrypted in the Integrity Client's IntegrityClient.rc file, by default stored in the user's home directory. See CS131163 for more details.

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-6729400)

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the Integrity Community!

You are correct that the Linux Integrity client does not use the authentication from they system. If this is something your organization is interested in, you may want to attach yourself to Feature Request 102468 via CS84441: Support for non-Active Directory Kerberos implementations, which does mention the possibility of doing this with CA SiteMinder.

Note that client name and password are not required if they are stored in the client preferences:

1. Logged in as your build user, launch the client.
  2. From the File menu select Preferences...
  3. In the Preferences Configuration dialog expand the Configuration Management node.
  4. Under the Configuration Management node select the Connection sub-node
  5. In the right hand side of the Preferences Configuration dialog, uncheck the prompt checkboxes for User Name and Password
  6. Click OK at the bottom of the dialog
  7. Make sure your script explicitly sets the values for hostname and port
  8. Completely exit the client, then test your script by calling it from the command line

If it passes step 8, it should run from a cronjob launched under that Linux user profile as well.

The passwords are saved encrypted in the Integrity Client's IntegrityClient.rc file, by default stored in the user's home directory. See CS131163 for more details.

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Thanks, that appears to do just what i need !

Joe

Top Tags