cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Re-Import Word Document

blercher
4-Participant

Re-Import Word Document

Hi,

it is possible, to export a requirement document to word, change some requirements and(!) add new requirements in word and after then re-import all in Integrity?

I'm playing with template 2009-WordExportTemplate-06-Reimport.docx  and OutlineLevels_Reimport.DSD.xslt.

It works fine for changing requirements in word, but I cannot create new requirements in word.

Any idea?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:blercher)

Hello Bernd,

I think part of the issue is that you are using a condensing re-import profile.

If I do the same test, but use the Requirements Document Import and Re-import with Outline Levels import configuration instead, (which uses SampleOutlineLevels.DSD.xslt) the new content is imported as new content.  There are other issues with this method (the MKS ID tags are imported as separate content items with this combination of export and re-import).

You will have to figure out which combinations work the best as a starting point, then customize them to get them to work exactly as you would prefer.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mrump
14-Alexandrite

This use case is definitely possible as we working like that for years, but strongly depends on the used PARSER and MAPPING.

The key question is:

- How can the parser "recognize" a new requirement (or differentiate between a new one or just an extention to an already given one) ?

This has a strong influence on the "inner structure" of the WORD document you import, as it needs to follow/support the rules the Parser uses to identify requirement.

For example, if your parser identifies an requirement as an paragraph that is not formated as a heading; than you have to make sure that each new requiremnt in your re-import is encapsulated in a new paragraph in your WORD document.

There are some parsers in the default ALM solution (and I think the one you choose is one of them) that accumulate all paragraphs between two headers into one single requirement. So if you want a new requirement you will have to add headings that surround it in your WORD document.

HTH Matthias

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Bernd,

I think part of the issue is that you are using a condensing re-import profile.

If I do the same test, but use the Requirements Document Import and Re-import with Outline Levels import configuration instead, (which uses SampleOutlineLevels.DSD.xslt) the new content is imported as new content.  There are other issues with this method (the MKS ID tags are imported as separate content items with this combination of export and re-import).

You will have to figure out which combinations work the best as a starting point, then customize them to get them to work exactly as you would prefer.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
blercher
4-Participant
(To:KaelLizak)

Hi Kael,

ok thanks.

Top Tags